Surreall is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Work has asked me to create an access database, not sure where to start

Hi all, My Boss has asked me to create an access database for our engineers.

A bit of background, we are an electrical company and currently use paper jobsheets to keep track of the jobs they do and materials and time etc.

At the moment they are word documents and a load get printed off for a couple of weeks. Now there is currently no record making of these jobsheets so when engineers lose one (and this happens a lot), there is no record of what the job was/when/completed etc. So we are going to electronically print one but only when we need it.

So the plan is to have an access database, that allows you (via a UI) to create a new jobsheet that opens up a word document (ie the jobsheet), puts in the revelant data. I.e date, the engineer, customer contact details, job description. So we have a record of it. Then when the engineer comes back with the jobsheet, myself or anyone here can update the access jobsheet number with "materials used", "work completed", "time spent" etc. Then finally accounts can go through the jobs on access and when the job has been billed they can highlight the job as completed and billed. ( i am sure they will want other features, like attaching invoice number, cost etc at some point)

So finally to my question. Creating the database shouldnt be too bad, what i am struggling with is the UI for users. Can i have a desktop icon where it brings up the UI rather than the whole database? Sorry for the long and winded post, just wanted to give background info

Regards Surreall

stmoong is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Normally, you would design the data entry forms in Access. Then, you can ask Access to display your main form at the start.

In Access 2007, you can set it in Access Options.

Click on the Ribbon (the big round Office button on the top left corner). Then click on the Access Options button at the bottom right of the menu, which is next to the Exit button.

Click on Current Database located on the left side of the pane in the pop up window.

Under Application Options section, select the form you want Access to display from the combo box "Display Form".

The next time you start your database, the form will be displayed on startup.

I'm not sure about the location for the options in other versions, might have to Google for it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.