Exodus is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Re-linking a SQL database to Access 2010

I've read that you can google the info, I've read that it's easy, I've read everything but the answer. I really need help with this. I've read many pages online and I just need the simple instructions.

First of all I was given this. Connect an existing Access project to a different SQL Server database and the instructions are so simple however when I get to On the file tab click SERVER to open the Data Link Properties Dialogue, there isn't a SERVER option to click on.

Here's what I've got. I'm not an Access programmer but have been able to create some very helpful tools that I need to use once per month. My SQL server was on my local machine because I use Goldmine PE 9.2. I moved the SQL server to a different machine, I can connect to it, I can use it with Goldmine, all is well from my local machine except when ever I use my .accdb file, since the SQL server has been moved, I have to login with each request by the access file. This is sometimes six and seven times per session, waiting, error message, logging in, waiting, error message, logging in until it has all it needs to produce my required lists. It's mind numbing and I can't for the life of me find where I can reconnect to the SQL database so I don't have to do this so many times per session.

The question is. In Access 2010 32bit running windows 7 64bit. How do I find the datalink properties to connect my .accdb to a different sql database?

Thanks, I'm beyond frustrated and helpless at this point.

Keith

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    I take it the Linked Table Manager can't do this? I know nothing about SQL Server, sorry.

alcapps is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    your problem is that you need to set up a dsn for your computer. Then you can connect your tables thru the dsn. which will show up in the external data in 2010 odbc database. then click new dsn. pick sql server and follow the prompts.
    you can do dsn less that would require code to write.

hope this helps

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Here's a link you may find useful: http://www.accessmvp.com/djsteele/DSNLessLinks.html

Exodus is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by alcapps View Post
    your problem is that you need to set up a dsn for your computer. Then you can connect your tables thru the dsn. which will show up in the external data in 2010 odbc database. then click new dsn. pick sql server and follow the prompts.
    you can do dsn less that would require code to write.

hope this helps
    Setting up a DSN is no problem, already did that. I'm not sure if I'm making it clear. I can't figure out how to connect an existing accdb to a sql server database. I don't want to sound unappreciative but I can't believe that no one has moved a sql database to a different server and hasn't run into this. I don't work with access and sql all that much but how can this not be common?

It's trying to connect to the old server which is the local server and I've reinstalled everything on the local machine so somewhere in the accdb file there is reference to the old dsn so how do I edit that data. Is this possible?

alcapps is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    what version of sql are you using?

you do this from the sql side. import data wizard. then select access as the import from and your sql box the import to. I've done that before.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.