Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    djclntn is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

How might a List Box be used as a directory?

Are List Boxes only used for inputting data? What if I have a Form with just the ‘Makes’ of Vehicles & below in a sub-form I have the Make’s ‘Models.' Right now on my Form I have directional controls (previous/next) Record to get to the particular Make when I need to add a new ‘Model.’ But why can’t on the side of the Form have a list of the ‘Makes’ & when I point to “Toyota” it’ll take me to the Record which contains the “Toyota” models. Just wondering…

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    An unbound listbox can be used for selection of filter criteria same as unbound combobox.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I don't understand exactly what you mean by "unbound?" I tried creating a list box & for the Control source I left blank. So the list box is unbound I suppose, but when I go to Form View & select a 'Make' from the list box nothing happens...

always404 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    well there are a couple of ways to "make things happen" once you set up your list box
    an unbound listbox by itself will just sit there and do nothing if there is no code or expressions to make things go

if it were me i think i might use vba/macros to set a filter to limit the available cars to only the ones of that manufacturer

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Unbound means the ControlSource is not a field of form RecordSource.

One way to filter records of form is with a parameterized query that references the combo or list box for criteria. Review: http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

And if you want a Model combo or list box dependent on the Make combo or list (haven't we discussed this topic) review: http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...combobox2.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please, I'm not being smart with anyone, but I'm back to square one with these d*mn Combo Boxes. I must have watched those 2-videos 20-times, it's just doesn't click (or work) with me. It's very frustrating!! -- Alan, my friend, I never used macros nor can begin to come up with any VBA Code, but thanks for your input. Man, do I wish I could have the modelcbo feed off of the Makecbo, but I've spent days (8-hrs days) trying to figure it out & I've came up empty! It's NOT you guys, its, ME! I'm smart... and then I'm not too smart. Maybe I'll try tackling those 2-videos once more tomorrow -- I don't know...

alcapps is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    post your database and we can take a look at what you're trying to do. Even if you make a copy and remove all forms except the one you want the change to. you can remove unused tables as well. of course if you have forms and sub forms queries and tables tied to your example please keep them there.

I'm sorry, but I cannot upload the zip file here which s why I need to resort to - (I'll get back to you with the link)...sorry

Windows XP Access 2003
    DealershipsLocationrs_fix.accdb

here you go.. I had to delete a bunch of things to get it under 500mb

Ok, I’m sorry, but I didn’t post the other issue I wanted you to look & see if you could fix. If you still have the original database When you open up the Vehicles SnglFrm you’ll see that the ‘Model’ is a Combo Box which populates (right word-?) the ‘Make.’ E.g. if from the ‘Model’ Combo Box I choose, “Mustang” as the model then “Ford” pops into the ‘Make’ field. However, as you may see my ‘Model’ Combo Box is very-very lengthy, so what I’ve been struggling with for literally 3-months is how can change things around. Ideally, what I want is to have both the ‘Make’ field & the ‘Model’ field be Combo Boxes. Whereby if from the ‘Make’ Combo Box I choose “Ford” then in the ‘Model’ Combo Box will only populate the models that are only “Ford’s.” You did great with solving my second issues, thanks!

Windows XP Access 2003
    I will back at my computer some time later today. I'll take a look.
    Usually you make combo box car make limit the list of vehicle using the after update event of combo box make and requery combo box 2.

Windows XP Access 2003
    DealershipsLocationrs_fix2.accdb

I had to remove all the tables to make this upload. You will need to import the form into your database for this to work. Or import all your tables to the fix2 for that form to work.

I hope this helps..you.

Hey, Thanks! it's not quite working for me just yet. I have to play around with it tomorrow. Right now I can pull down the Make & the selected makes' models appear in the combo box, but I can't select any of the Models -- it's lock? Any suggestions? Like I said, I've been at this since November -- I might be getting closer to my goal. Thanks again. I have to call it a night, but I'll get back at it tomorrow!

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by djclntn View Post
    Hey, Thanks! it's not quite working for me just yet. I have to play around with it tomorrow. Right now I can pull down the Make & the selected makes' models appear in the combo box, but I can't select any of the Models -- it's lock? Any suggestions? Like I said, I've been at this since November -- I might be getting closer to my goal. Thanks again. I have to call it a night, but I'll get back at it tomorrow!
    Ok not sure what the issue for u is. It is or was working for me. I'll check again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.