TESMED is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

#Num! Help!!!

I'm very new to access but am running a report that I have tried for hours to try and correct but have not been able to solve the problem. My function is as follows:

=Sum([Pos Cultures 1])/Sum([Total Samples 1])

However sometimes Sum([Pos Cultures 1]) and Sum([Total Samples 1]) are equal to 0. I know that 0/0 will always return the #Num! because you can't divide 0 by 0. What can I do to get the result to be 0 if this is the case? I have tried several IIf expressions but can't figure it out. Also I don't know if this makes it any harder but this is supposed to give me a fraction to the 2nd decimal place (ex 1.00%).

Let me know if I did not provide enough info. Again I am new so please be gentle.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    You might try
    Code:
    =IIF(Sum([Total Samples 1])=0,0,Sum([Pos Cultures 1])/Sum([Total Samples 1]))

(You really shouldn't use spaces in names..... )

TESMED is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you!!!!! Problem solved.
    Could you elaborate on the spacing thing? Like I said I am new to access and got put in a position to create a database but I've never had any formal training on how to do it. However my database does function for our needs so I guess I survived.....for now.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Glad you got it working

For object names, you should only use letters, numbers and/or the underscore. If you use spaces in names, you must enclose the names with brackets ([]).
    If you ever want to convert your dB to SQL, Oracle, etc , they tend to choke on spaces in names.

Better names:
    TotalSamples1
    Total_Samples_1

See http://access.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.