astewart is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Field in form that shows last number entered to aid in entering next number

Ok, so on a form I have I'd like to have a field labeled Last: {} with the {} containing the last number entered in a field in a table. Then the user could verify they were entering the correct next number. I can't autonumber these because based on a variety of different parameters, not every record gets a number. I have 7 fields I'd like to do this for.

For example, the user needs to enter a number in a field called IA_Number. I'd like them to be able to see what the last number entered was before they enter the next number.

Any ideas?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Is this a multi-user database? Trying to show the 'last' or 'max' value from a field with multiple users is risky if they are entering data sumultaneously.

However, you can use DMax() domain aggregate function in the ControlSource of a textbox.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Is this a multi-user database? Trying to show the 'last' or 'max' value from a field with multiple users is risky if they are entering data sumultaneously.

However, you can use DMax() domain aggregate function in the ControlSource of a textbox.
    Only one user enters at a time. The DMax() function works great for most of my fields. I have one field that's a little more complicated. In my table, I have one field where the user selects one of three districts 1, 2, or 4. In the next field is a sequential number for each of those districts as needed. Not every record has a district or a district number. In the form, I'd like to use DMax() with criteria, so if the user selects 1, 2, or 4 in the combo box, the last district # used for the selected district shows in my text box. If that's too complicated, then I can have three DMax() controlled text boxes, one for each district. That's what I tried, so the expression looks like

=DMax("District_Number", "2013Register", "District=1")

But my field just says #error.

June7 is online now VIP
    Don't understand 'last district # used for the selected district'. Do you mean the 'last sequence # for the selected district'?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hmm, I think that's what I mean. Each time a district is selected, the user enters the next sequential number corresponding to the selected district, the numbers run from 1 - whatever for a given year.

Does that clarify?

June7 is online now VIP
    So the expression would maybe be:

=DMax("SequenceNumber", "2013Register", "District=" & [Distrct])

cactuspete13 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    If the number is automatic, remove the human error possibility and make it completely automated. I found an SQL code that does something like that:
    Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer)

FieldName = Nz(DMax("FieldName", "TableName")) + 1

End Sub

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.