XenoZephyr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Help setting up an Access database to replace an old Filemaker Pro database

I work on a college campus within a graduate department. We have a database that we use to track all of the students. Basically the tracking comes down to two parts. We track the student files through the application process. Then if they are accepted and attend, we track the students process towards graduation, whether they have taken certain required training, if they have taken their exams and did they pass, did they put in the number of required internship hours, etc, things of that nature.

Currently we have a Filemaker Pro database that is used more like a spreadsheet than a database. It's a flat database, and in order to do what they want it to do, they do a search on a field, get a number of records, then export that to Excel in order to print it out. Sometimes because of multiple requirements of selections this is done up to 12 times for a single report. I don't really know a lot about Filemaker Pro but this seems extremely wrong to me.

So I am trying to make an Access 2010 database to replace it but I have some general questions.

First, in the current Filemaker Pro database, we have a screen with a range of fields. Student info fields (last name, first name, address, etc), previous GPAs, GRE scores, etc. We have whether the student was accepted and if so what year (which we refer to as Cohort) and what program they are in (our database becomes a mess when they are in multiple programs but I do know enough about Access to put things in different tables and fix those sorts of problems).

This is how it is used. A professor may say "Give me all of the MHC students from the last 3 years." So, we go to Program and select MHC and that returns the records of only MHC students (one of the 4 programs that we have). Then we export those records to Excel, delete the fields we don't care to print, select only the rows of students from the last 3 years, and print it out. It's more complicated than that in reality because of problems in the database, like some students are listed as SP in Program and we have to do the same search in Program2, etc.

But that is how the database is used 80% of the time.

How do I replicate this in Access?

I have all the tables built, I have a report that includes the fields that we need printed. But how do I make it dynamic like this?

I assume some sort of Query but my limited knowledge and experience is taxed on trying to figure it out. We need to make it dynamic so that we can search on whatever field we need to and with whatever search criteria. Generally there are only about 6 fields that are searched so if I need to make 6 Queries that is fine but I'm not really sure on this at all.

I guess that's really only one question but that is the biggest that I have and we can't really use Access if we can't replicate at least this part.

I guess the second part of the question is, if I can make something so that I can enter some criteria to return a subset of records, how do I also make it so that we can do this on the fly with any field. For example if a new professor wants us to search for all students from Florida for some reason and we don't have something built to search and select by State, can we make something so that we can do this on the fly so to speak.

Thanks for any and all input. I've built Access databases about 15 years ago and nothing this complex. Am reading through a book but not even sure if Access can do what I need it to (though it seems like it should)

Thanks!
    --Dan

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    For one method of filtering data, review:
    http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...earchform.html
    http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

Your 'second part' is somewhat possible but more complicated.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.