sren is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Exclamation Database Lock Error 3734 - Only on Design Form in 2 Linked Database

Help....calling on experts! I could use some urgent assistance on an issue we started encountering out of nowhere this afternoon!

We have 2 databases: calc.accdb and proc.accdb.

• The proc database links to a couple of tables in the calc database.
    • Other than that, the only other "connection" that the two have is the original frm_Main (i.e. Main Menu) from the proc database was imported to the calc database. In both databases, the form opens on an AutoExec macro. All code, etc., tied to the form imported to the calc database was deleted.

All of this has worked without any problems until today. After spending a considerable time trying to figure out what the issue is, we have discovered that: if one of us is in the calc database and the other is in the proc database, and one of us (regardless of database) goes to the Design view on the frm_Main in the database they are working in, the other user who is in a totally different database (i.e. the other one of the two - proc or calc), starts receiving the 'database is locked by user xxx (error 3734)' message. The user receiving the error message can do nothing until both users completely exit Access and restart their respective database.

Note: The ONLY other issue like this we have ever encountered is that both of us can not work in the same database like we used to be able to do in Access versions prior to 2010 where multiple users could work within the same one and we used user-level security to define who had read/write rights to which items within the database.

I have absolutely no idea what is causing this issue or why it suddenly started happening. We are on a major crunch deadline. Can anyone please offer any insight into what is going on and how I can possibly get this resolved?

Kindest regards!
    sren

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    This may be a bit late considering your original post but this is what I do to avoid any problems with updating databases that are used by multiple people.

Make a copy of the front end database to use as your development tool, this would allow you to do any testing you need and then when you've got everything working just import whatever queries, forms, reports you added into the 'working' database or just copy the entire front end database over and retain your 'updated' verson as your 'working' database.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I will reiterate what rpeare posted; you must split these databases. That will solve your problem.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.