Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    brookierook is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Many-to-Many Madness

Hello,

I am desperate for some help. This is driving me crazy and it is probably something really simple that I am missing.

Building a DB on Market Research Projects. I need my project managers to be able to select their name from a project manager list. This is a many-to-many relationship because many managers can be assigned to a project and many projects can be assigned to a manager.

SO. I created a form for project managers to fill out for easy use when they need to update their information. I've created the necessary relationships and added a linking table. For the life of me I cannot get a combo-box in the form to display the list of project managers. I've tried querying and all sorts but I've obviously done something wrong and can't figure out what it is.

ProjectInfo1v3.zipProjectInfo1v3.zipPlease help.. I'm about to lose it!

Grateful Novice

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Can you post a copy of the db in A2003 mdb format.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

I can't seem to do that. It's not an option on the save as menu. Advice?

Windows XP Access 2003
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Ok, I think I've done it. Thanks for that!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Doh! I've sent you the version in which i've deleted the linking table. I was going to redo it just to make sure I was doing it right. Sorry!

This is what I had before.
    Attached Files Attached Files

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Ok, understood. Thought I was on two different sites? Anyway doesn't matter. I posted previously on another forum and didn't get much of a response so I posted on here. You see the numbers of 'views' go up and not really any responses and I'm a bit desperate so I looked somewhere else.. which was here... where I got a better response. And if someone has been working on my problem for an hour how would I know? No one said anything about working on anything so I wasn't expecting that. I've not really done this before, very new to it. I was unaware of the forum culture. So, I apologize. I'm sorry about that. I'm just frustrated. Not with the forums, just with this silly database I've been trying to build quite unsuccessfully. I'm just getting nowhere. But I really appreciate the help I have received and could possibly receive because I'm still lost in the sauce.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    The issue is not posting on multiple sites, but letting people know that you have especially in your situation where you were not getting responses after a period of time. Understand the frustration. We have all had to deal with it at one time or another. Good luck with your project.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by brookierook View Post
    This is what I had before.
    OK, so on which form are you having a problem?
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Oh thankyou, I could cry I'm so happy you responded.

So I'm working on the form called 'ProjectInfo' which is kind of my main form. The only things that I couldn't stick on there were the many to many relationships, i.e. Project Managers, countries, and suppliers. From what I understand these need to be subforms correct? Or is there another way? I thought they needed to be subforms anyway. The problem is I don't think that I am setting them up properly. I cannot get a functional subform going for Project Managers (or the other two but they are a bit different and I will ask in a bit). I can't even get the list of names to appear in any kind of box ie list, combo at all. Only the ID number shows up. When my project managers go in the DB to add a new project or update existing projects they need to able to select multiple (in case they are working with another PM). Another question is, if I let them select multiple PM's will I still be able to query and get a report on individual project managers to see what projects they are working on?

Also, there are two other subforms in the ProjectInfo form. They are the ProjectCountries subform and ProjectSuppliers subform. I have to report on individual countries and suppliers so I've set them up with y/n tick boxes. Can you just check that they are ok? They seem functional.... but I'm not sure. Would you mind? I so VERY MUCH appreciate your help. I'm sorry if I'm a bit manic!

Windows XP Access 2003
    The last db had no data in the Projects table and no data in the ProjectManagers table. If you can post again with some dummy data in these tables I will take a look at it.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

I didn't realize I was supposed to populate the ProjectManagers table? That is my junction table. The table that has the project managers name in is called 'MRManagers' but I will put some data in the projects table. But if I do need to put something in ProjectManagers what would that be?

Windows XP Access 2003
    OK, don't bother with the ProjectManagers table, but a few records in the Project table would help.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.