Lmartinrn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Display entered data once the form is closed and reopened

Okay, I am sure my mistake is very simple and I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have three tables in joined on one form using a tabular view. One table is injury prevention, one table is hospital education, and one table is community outreach.

The form populates the tables without error.

My problem is that when the form is opened, the prior record entries cannot be seen.

Under Form Properties, the Data Entry is set to No.

Please help. I'm sure it's a simple fix... I just can't figure it out.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    My guess would be that if your Form is populating three Tables, without problems, but not displaying existing Records, that the Form is Unbound. This is assuming that by 'Form' you mean a single Form, not a Main Form/Subform/Subform configuration. Is this correct?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Windows XP Access 2007

Database

Thank you for agreeing to take a peek at the attached db. The idea is that employees will access the db then complete the education in each of the tabs as appropriate. They need to have the ability to review the entries on opening the form in each of the tables respectively.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    The query uses INNER JOIN. This means records must be in all three tables. These tables are not properly related. Cannot relate tables on AutoNumber primary key fields (correction, you can but will most likely cause problems). If you can be sure there will always be data entered for all three tables at the same time, this might be made to work but is very unusual setup and I have never seen this.

Are these records supposed to be related to employee? There is no Employees table. There is no field in any table for EmployeeID. What are the relationships of these tables? If you intend a one-to-one relationship and use the Autonumber fields as pk/fk then better just use one table. Should not have TotalCost fields in table. Calculate this value when needed. There are similar named fields in table (IJItem1Distributed, IJItem2Distributed, etc.) which indicates a non-normalized data structure.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    It's not about the employees and is not related to employee information.

If I should not enter Item1 and Item2,etc... then how to do I make it so that I can see multiple items on a form? It doesn't make sense not to do it the way I have it. The way the form appears now is how my employer wants to view each item.

The Total Cost field is for our boss to have a quick look at the total cost as it relates to the specific lecture/outreach/injury prevention "event". Again, this is about displaying the information on a form without the need to run a report when a quick glance on the form provides all the information needed. This is how my employer wants it.

Am I thinking about this all wrong?

June7 is online now VIP
    "then how to do I make it so that I can see multiple items on a form" - with parent/child tables (one-to-many or many-to-many relationship) and form/subform arrangement. You can do as you have set up but does not follow normalization standards. Could be issues with search and filter procedures. What if you want to search for all records with item 'Supplies' and 'Supplies' could be found in any of six fields? Gets complicated. Also limits to six items. If need to expand for more than six means modifying table, queries, forms, reports.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010098674.aspx

Calculate TotalCost data in textbox on form with an expression as ControlSource: =Quantity * Cost
    Saving calculated value will require either manual entry of the calculated value or VBA code. Easier to calculate when needed. Also assures the calculated value will not get out of sync with the raw data.

If this data is not about employee, what is it about? Events? Tables do not even document which employee entered the data. Consider:

tblEvents
    EventID
    EventDate
    EventName
    MediaCoverage
    Contact
    etc

tblItems
    ItemID
    ItemCost
    ItemName

tblEmployees
    EmpID
    EmpLast
    EmpFirst

tblEventCosts
    EventID
    ItemID
    Quantity
    EmpID

Quantity and Cost fields should be number (double) datatype, not text.

Not thinking about this like a database developer. Review 'sticky' thread tutorials at http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-access-help-18/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.