Modify_inc is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Hyperlink not linking, but is displayed as a hyperlink

I'm using Access 2010 and a sample template provided with Access named Contacts Web Database.

I have a question with regards to using hyperlinks.

One of my fields I have set is named Email, and I have made it a hyperlink.

The problem is it shows as a hyper link, and even displays the hand pointer when you move your mouse over the email address that is typed in the field. Yet when I click on it, it does nothing, just changes from the hand pointer to the text cursor.

How do I fix this, so it truly behaves like a hyperlink and opens my default email client?

Thanks
    Mike

I have tried using the following two commands to the 'On Click' under 'Events' with no success with either one:

FollowHyperlink Me.txtEmailAddress

Application.FollowHyperlink Me.txtEmailAddress

I always get the following error when clicking on the hyperlink after the change:

Contacts cannot find the object 'Application.'

ketbdnetbp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Modify_inc -

Are you using VBA for those commands as you post implies? If I remember correctly, on web databases, you can only use macros.

Hope this helps,

Jim

No I'm not, and your probably correct that using web databases probably requires the use of macros. I understand that web databases have limitations and is probably why I'm having so much trouble trying to do something that should just work.

I just found those commands while reading many forums and so I thought I would try it. I entered those commands in the property sheet field for the email field.

If it does require the use of macros, do you know the code I would need?

I really don't understand why the hyperlink text that is clickable does nothing when clicked on and why any additional code would even be required, but I guess that is by design.

Thanks again for the reply!

Doing some more research I have narrowed my problem down.

I created a new web database from scratch and then created a field for email and made the datatype hyperlink. Clicking on the email works and opens my email client!

So I realized what I was doing wrong. I was trying to change the field type in forms when all it was doing was making the field semi behave like a hyperlink but that was all. I realized I need to go to the table and change the email datatype to hyperlink.

The problem now is I have two contacts tables. The first contacts table gives me the option to change the datatype, but the first contact table does not have the email field.

The second contacts table does not allow me to change the datatype for any of the fields which I do not understand, and this one contains the email field that I need to alter. This second contacts table is named ContactsExtended and has two windows and a globe as a icon, so I'm sure that signifies something while the other contact table only displays a window and a globe.

The Contacts table has the Table Tools on the Menu to the right of Database Tools with Fields and Table while the ContactsExtended does not.

So how do I change the datatype of the email field to hyperlink if it does not allow me too?

I have provided pics if needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contacts.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	10586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contacts with Table Tools.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	10587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContactsExtended No Table Tools.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	10588\

EDIT: Just realized the ContactsExtended is a query not a table. So wouldn't the email field have to be in the Contacts table?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.