burrina is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Append Query Creates a New Record

I have a subform on my main form and here is the dilemma. The append query works fine except it creates a whole complete NEW record, not just an added record to the existing record. i.e. (subform record) Anyway around this? Both forms use the same table as the recordsource.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEWCheckRegisterRecord.jpg  

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    You probably need to run an update query and not an append. Append does add a new record to the existing table. If you wish to change/amend a field, then Update. Look here for how to do that in case you need a refresher.

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/update_query.html

Alan

burrina is offline VIP
    Thanks but that will not work for me at least with my coding experience. I am implementing this Append query from another form that is NOT part of the MainForm/Subform. The Main form really has only 2 criteria fields, Bank and Employee, everything else is on the subform which is a continuous form. I don't want to do this but maybe my only solution is too move the 2 fields to the subform. Not a good thing as far as I am concerned. I am doing scheduling from this other form and appending the scheduled data to the main forms subform. I am out of my paygrade here anyway! Scheduling and using dates to enter data is a complex pain.

Perhaps if you explained what you have with examples and what you want to do with examples, then someone here might have a viable solution. With what you have explained to this point, I am not sure anyone can offer any help. Explaining your issues in generalities gets you general solutions. Let's give this another shot at explaining it.

burrina is offline VIP
    Main form and on it are 2 fields, Bank and Employee.This is a Check Register Program and so the Bank Account and Employee who is entering he data are the criteria to enter data. ALL other data is stored on the subform. Main form as you see by the picture has 2 fields on it with Bank Name and Employee,below that is the subform which is a continuous form. My scheduler that is supposed to enter the data into the form is on another form, I have matching fields in another table and so I append the same data onto the subform via the append query, it is not stored twice! Just the value of one field appends to the other field. The idea was to stay on the same record as the main form and just enter more record onto the subform, NO need to add another record with the same Bank Account and Employee, this is ONLY needed ONCE, you then add all the records you want on the subform for check register data.Does this make sense? The whole idea behind all of this is too enter scheduled transactions onto that subform and continue on with the SAME Main Form Record! I have since explored a bit with adding the Bank Account and Employee to the subform.This is new so I will have to see! Maybe the best solution is to create a GIANT form with 2 subforms on it, one for the register and one for the scheduler??? Maybe this will bring me back to the same scenario, don't know. Be patient with me as I try and explain and implement and ask more questions, this is very complicated for me. I have implemented a scheduler but not added any sort of automation to it yet! Dates are in place but not any sort of timer! Or query that runs every so often. I will post back as soon as I have more data.
    Thanks, Oh, anyone ever written anything like this with a scheduler built in?

I am very confused. It is hard to get my head around. Perhaps you should upload a copy of the db instead of pictures so that we can play with it instead of trying to come up with theoretical solutions. Dummy up any confidential information. Only include a representative sample of your data. Run a compact and repair before you upload your db.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.