bbrazeau is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Defacto Generic, Versitile, Most Common functionality, Standardized DB template

I've searched and developed my own DB's for a while now. I've downloaded templates and free DB's and read the advice, and examples given in Forum's. What I can't seem to find is a simple (everyone always adds tricks and trinkets that muck up the soup from a versitility and generic standpoint) DB with what I would consider the most common DB functionality there is. "OrderProductInvoiceInventory" This DB model is very generic and is a basic starting point for...I'm guessing 60% of all DB's. So you take Customer, Order, OrderDetail, Product, Supplier, ReOrderDetail, and Reorder tables. (and maybe a couple more,but nothing too complex) and develop the simplest DB (least amount of coding, macros, etc.. and most accepted practice) possible to give the following functionality. An Order entry form with OrderID,OrderDate,OrderSentYN, BillTo, and ShipTo fields. A Product form with ProductID, ProductName, ProductPrice, Supplier, and QtyInStock fields. An OrderDetail subform with OrderDetailId, OrderID, ProductID, and QtyToShip fields. A ReOrder form with ReOrderID, ReOrderDate, PONumber, Supplier, and ReOrderReceivedYN fields. A Supplier form with SupplierID, SupplierAddress, and SupplierName fields. A Customer form with CustomerID, CustomerName, and CustomerAddress fields. And a ReOrderDetail subform with ReOrderDetailID, ReOrderID, ProductId, and QtyToReceive fields. When the "OrderSentYN" and "ReOrderReceivedYN" check boxes (or a command button affecting them) are toggled, the "QtyInStock" of Product table would be affected and the check box or command button disabled ensuring each Order or ReOrder is only applied once. There should be reports for OrderInvoices, ReOrder PO's, CustomerInfo, ProductInfo (and maybe a couple others, but again nothing too complex). This is probably the basic model for most retail store fronts. Obviously, most retailers would embelish on this, and there are some nessesary items missing (ie. tax, shipping) but it's at least a common starting point and it should not be too difficult to come to a concensous as to an acceptable standard with which to post a template for all to use. Any one have any comments or see a flaw in my reasoning???? Anyone know of something like this?????

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    This DB model is very generic and is a basic starting point for...I'm guessing 60% of all DB's
    Interesting.
    If this model were so common and generic, everyone would have one. As you can see by Googling, there's not much out there.

Have you tried the M$oft Inventory database
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/te...001018458.aspx

or the Northwind.accdb from M$oft?

Can you not empty them of data and get to the template you want?

You could review the models within this retail model and create something that meets your needs.
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...mers/index.htm

You could google SAP and ATP Inventory or IBM Retail Inventory and get a look at some of the more complex models.
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wc...fs/rdmatpi.htm
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wc...s/rdmatpio.htm

I think if you could build a template as you suggest, you may have something worth a lot of money.
    Good luck with your project.

bbrazeau is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Hi Orange,
    Quite the contrary if I google I get goggles of DBs they're just all way too complex to be called generic, versitile, or standard.
    I did find the Microsoft "Goods" inventory DB I have downloaded it and will check it out tonight at home. I have 2010 there. Though I suspect it will be complex as well.
    The other examples you give "Northwind",( I.M.O. too complex) "IBM" (probably $$$$).
    The suggestion of Stripping away all the glitz from say "Northwind" is an option, but In my experience when you start to strip away "stuff" it ends up messing up the DB so it doesn't work any more.
    I am going to work something up and then post it in the code repository eventually. Thanks for the wish of luck.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    My suggestion of stripping out some things was mainly the data Of course some form names and captions that make a customization would have to go as well. But the table structures and relationships should remain and be fine.
    You could even have some test records to show the functionality of various forms/processes.

I'm sure in your search of inventory, especially things like partial deliveries, back orders, multiple invoices per order, FIFO ... led to a lot of "inventory is not simple; inventory is complex; that's a pretty heavy database for a beginner etc" and I think it is for the most part.

One of the posters does have an inventory database that he recommends.

His message at the bottom of his posts eg Rainlover
    http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=238903
    shows sample databases at his Skydrive storage.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.