Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    alyon is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Access Running Slow. Help?

Hello, I have an Access 2010 database. It has quite a few reports, queries, a few forms, much code, and a lot of imported images. The database is split as there are many different users, and I often compact and repair it. I had it set to compact and repair on close but it caused issues, so now I just do it manually daily. It is 42,000 KB, and it runs ridiculously slow. I cannot decrease the size or delete any parts or functions within as all are necessities. I greatly appreciate any suggestions to fix the issue. Thank you in advance for your help! -alyon

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Can you be more specific about what is slow.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Here's some suggestions in a link: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

Bob, to be more specific about what is slow. I'm not exactly sure, as my co-workers use the program not me.. It's pretty much just when you're typing it'll freeze up and give you the thinking cursor, same with closing it -- it freezes terribly when closing. when you start a new record.. it gives you the waiting cursor. I understand there's a lot going on in the program, and it does need time to think.. but the waiting cursor is not a few seconds, it freezes for minutes. Also, searching within the program is extremely, extremely slow. RuralGuy, I looked at your link (which has a bunch of suggestions).. I can't change the virus protection software, or that we're on a wireless network, but I did see the BeginTrans & CommitTrans for vba code... does anyone happen to know if that would be helpful? Thank you both for your assistance!

Just for the record: Access does *not* do well on a wireless network! Wireless can cause corruption as well.

I figured it didn't from the tips you posted, but I can't do anything about that.

Bob, I guess I should also add that it often shows "not responding" with the waiting cursor.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Allan's link to granite is an often referenced link for performance.
    Here's one from FMS http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Performance.html

Do you have personnel with network experience. Can they provide any info related to issues/problems with your network?
    Has performance always been "questionable", or has there been some event that has triggered poorer performance?

Did you have issue during development?

Our network was slow at times, but our internet was upgraded, so that runs rather quickly now. I had no problems when developing the programs, and in the beginning it ran rather quickly. As it got bigger, and more added, and especially after splitting the database.. I've noticed it's much slower.

Do you at least have a Persistant Connection?

Yes, I have a persistent connection.

Does this system use the Internet as well? That can fluctuate in speed as well and generally just gives consistantly poor performance for Access.

Does what system use internet as well? I mean I know it's wireless, and that's not great for access.. but I can't fix that. I need something I can change, something I can fix to deal with the problem. So internet connection, whether fast or slow, or wireless or not seems irrelevant, as I cannot change it.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    A few questions:

1. Does each user have their own copy of the Front End DB or is there just one copy that everyone runs?
      • Sharing the same DB (or the same Front End in the case of split DBs) causes a HUGE performance penalty and can create conflicts, locking some people out of the program, etc. I'd recommend that you put a separate copy of the Front End on each computer.

2. Do you regularly run a Compact and Repair on the Front Ends too or just on the Back End?
      • If the Front End isn't regularly Compacted, it can get just as messed up as the Back End can. If your users can't perform their own Compact and Repairs (if they have the Runtime version for example), the easiest thing to do is put a "fresh" copy of the Front End on the network and then copy it to their computers (replacing the copy they already have) each time they log on.

3. Is the database stored somewhere on the local network or do you have to connect to the internet (for example, over a VPN or to a server at a remote location) to run it?
      • Access is HORRIBLE over low-speed connections (and even a fast internet connection is considered slow by regular network standards). Make sure it's on the local network and not being accessed over the internet.

4. Are you using UAC (does Access ask you to log in before you can open the DB)?
      • Sometimes UAC can cause performance issues. The only way to check if this is a problem is to disable it and see if the issues go away. If they do, you'll most likely need to find another way to implement access control/security.

5. How often has the VBA Code been updated since the last time it was decompiled?
      • Access doesn't always remove old code/modules properly when you make changes. Sometimes, this can cause lockups and stability issues if it gets bad enough. Try decompiling the Front End DB once and see if that helps (MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!!!). This can also decrease the size of the DB

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The tips on this link worked well for me with a multi user db: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performanceforms.htm
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.