keydetpiper is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Formatting a report

Hello,

Brand new Access user here , having first looked at the program a week ago. I've stumbled through my first database and have something that seems to work well enough for my purposes but would probably make more experienced users cringe.

I'm working on a report to generate a text file that will be fed as input into a different computer program, so the file needs to be in a specific format. The report I've generated is pretty much what I need, but I'm still figuring out the formatting process and if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

The report I have has just two fields, a room and a list of equipment in that location, the current output looks something like this:

Room A

Equipment 1

Equipment 2

Room B

Equipment 1

Equipment 2

Room C

Equipment 1

Equipment 2

The only thing I need to do is get rid of the blank lines between all the entries associated with each room, like this:

Room A
    Equipment 1
    Equipment 2

Room B
    Equipment 1
    Equipment 2

Room C
    Equipment 1
    Equipment 2

Any suggestions for getting rid of those spaces without going through every line of the resulting text file? Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Are you saying the exported text file has blank lines? Or is that just what the report looks like? If the latter, that spacing should not translate into the export.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

keydetpiper is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Both the report and the exported text file have the blank lines. Is there a way to get rid of them?

Thanks.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I haven't done much exporting of reports so just did a quick test and am seeing similar issue and worse, some characters are dropped, weird. I really don't know if it is fixable. Some things about exporting reports can't be controlled. Actually, any process using a wizard has limited user control.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

roaftech is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I used to do this on a regular basis, but I found it better to export from a query rather than a report. You can export to a .txt file but I used to export to a .xls, then open it into a workbook where the first worksheet was formatted to match the incoming data, which was then passed to a processing sheet which was used as the input to graphs or tables as required. Even if your final application is not Excel you could then produce a more consistent .csv to pass to your other software. I can't remember the exact details (it was a while ago and the job was classified) but it might be a better approach than using the native Access reports.

The MS Office components do seem to have a surprising range of differences in what ought to be consistent or parallel operations.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.