suzy7677 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Talking Relationships/Joining Tables

Good morning! I hope all are well! I really would appreciate your help. I am kind of lost - I have taken Access 1 and 2 and am still trying to figure this all out.

Here is the scenario -

I have a database with customers contact information and details - HOMEOWNERS DATABASE.

I also have a different table specifically for those who have suffered damage from SANDY - SANDY DATABASE.

When someone calls to report sandy damage I want to enter it into SANDY- if they are already a customer I want it to reflect in the HOMEOWNERS DATABASE.

Also - the information that is already in SANDY - is there anyway to show a connection here?

Is this possible - what would be the best way to indicate that a customer has suffered damage from SANDY?

Thank you so much!!! I hope to one day be able to answer someone elses question. Thanks!

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You have a lot of info and it just isn't "coming out" too coherently.
    Perhaps you could step back a little and tell us briefly
    WHAT your goal is;
    WHAT your database knowledge is;
    WHAT exactly you have at the moment;
    WHAT is the purpose of "each of the databases";
    WHAT exactly is the biggest(most urgent) issue?

Do you have different databases OR different Tables?

suzy7677 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Hi I thank you for your response. I apologize for not being more clear and concise. I have tables now in one database.

I need information that I enter into the SANDY table to show up in HOMEOWNERS TABLE - SEVERAL FIELDS. is this possible?

1. My goal is to update my HOMEOWNERS table with information from my SANDY table AS I ENTER INFO.

2. Clearly my database knowledge is minimal. I can create records and forms. I do not understand relationships, joining tables, etc.

3. The purpose of HOMEOWNERS is contact information related to their homes. The purpose of SANDY is to record customers who have storm damage. (Some may relate to HOMEOWNERS TABLE, BUT NOT ALL)

4. Is it possible to do this? As I enter data into SANDY table, can that data show up in HOMEOWNERS table? If so, how?

Not all records in SANDY are in HOMEOWNERS, AND NOT ALL HOMEOWNERS ARE IN SANDY.

tHANK YOU, I hope this cleared it up a bit, ?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You should work to build a meaningful data model. It will help clarify the "things" you are dealing with. It will assist you in distinguishing What should go WHERE (tables and relationships) in your database. You should not be storing things in multiple tables. The whole idea of relational database is to keep tables to a single subject, and to have relationships to join the tables based on your business rules/facts.

Your tables and relationships are absolutely key to a sound database design. You should get those designed and tested before getting in to Forms and queries too soon. Most errors and major problems arise because the design does NOT match the requirements.

Here is an article to help overview the relational database approach.
    http://forums.aspfree.com/attachment...2&d=1201055452

You may also read this (there is a sample within the document) and try to use your data to build a model.
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/f..._Databases.zip

Post a copy of your Relationships(jpg).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.