mcktigger is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Unable to Access DB Via Front End

Hi all

I have a db which users are suddenly unable to access. Keep getting the msg "You do not have permission to run C:\ProgramFiles\xxx.mdb". This is affecting all users.

the db is split - data on server and front end on each client. I can open the backend.mdb and see all the data which looks fine but I can't change any permissions in order to fix the problem. I've tried re-joining the workgroup but keep getting the msg must be logged in as admin.

Is the .mdw corrupted and if so how can I fix.

Any help very much appreciated.

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Typically this kind of error means you didn't use the special shortcut which needs to reference the mdw file when opening the MSAccess frontend, the mdw was over-written or doesn't exist. The mdw file is critical when MSAccess permissions are created and it must be opened with the mdb file using the parameter to reference it. If it's lost or corrupt, you may need to find a backup. Sometimes it's easy to overwrite this mdw file if someone has the correct permissions and they don't know what they are doing (where a backup is the only solution).

There is a program you can use found in the Code Repository on this site which lets you view all the logins/passwords in an mdw file (I can't recall where it is but it's in the Code Repository somewhere called "Password extractor for mdw files".) Ever since I found this program to view all the logins/passwords in an mdw file, I stopped using MSAccess security since it's not as secure as it portrays to be (so much for MSAccess security). I used this password extractor to find the admin login/password and then ultimately re-create the MSAccess frontend file without MSAccess security.

I personally don't use MSAccess security due to the problems I had with the mdw file. Once it gets over-written, lost or corrupt, it can bring down a whole application for all users.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.