sammer021486 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

program find button to search whole table

Is there away that I can use VBA code to tell the Find Button on my form to search the whole table rather than having to select the individual field I would like to search?

Example

If I wanted to search for an employee but their name does not exist (typo, etc.), yet I have their ID number. I can just enter their ID number and not have to change the search to now look in the ID field of the table. I can just type the Id number and the whole table will be searched for that number

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    So what happens if you have a field that contains a value that is the same value as the ID number? In reality the user should have no need to know what the primary key is for a specific record as it should be used only for internal purposes for referential integrity and relationships.

David

sammer021486 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrake View Post
    So what happens if you have a field that contains a value that is the same value as the ID number? In reality the user should have no need to know what the primary key is for a specific record as it should be used only for internal purposes for referential integrity and relationships.

David

The database is for internal uses only. But a colleage and I sat down and discussed the situation and we came to the conclusion that it was unnecessary to program the button to do that and that the Find button should remain normal.

We came to the same conclusion as well about their being conflicts between doing a search like that as well. Instead of primary keys it was phone numbers that were being found that contained a match to the ID number

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.