masterjk is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Importing Tables to access from server

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I believe can be easily solved. Unfortunately, I have combed through google for at least an hour trying to find a solution to my problem:

The setup:
    Split DB with the back end on a company server based in Access (painfully slow)

I want to be able to download that information into a local Access file so I can run analysis without having to go through the server. From what I understand, there are two ways to do this: 1) Create a linked table (too slow because it still goes through the server) or 2) Import the tables.

The Problem:
    If I import the tables, it works exactly how I want until I have to refresh the data. I saved my original import steps, but when I go to saved imports and run it again, instead of simply refreshing the data, it creates all new tables parallel to the original ones. I then have to go through and rename all the tables to match and replace the original tables. There must be an easier way to do this...

Thanks!

PS - I am fairly new to Access, I have only been working with it for several months.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Since you are importing the tables and Access is giving them new names because the original tables already exist, why not just delete the original tables before importing the new versions. If you have queries in place, they will not be affected.

It warns me it would delete all of the relationships, and I don't want to have to re-link everything. Is this the case, or is this more of an empty threat?

Or would it also import the relationships from the other tables, so it wouldn't matter (because it would be importing the same relationships)?

alansidman is offline VIP
    Not sure what would happen. What happens when you delete them. To be on the safe side, I would back up the db first just in case it implodes on you. In either case, you may have to re-build one or the other of the two scenarios. Pick your poison and make sure it is the lessor of the two evils.

Alan

Sounds good. I will play around with it. Thanks for the help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.