Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kannuberg is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Unhappy two relations to one table?

Hi
    I have a problem. I have a booking-table that is related to two other tables.
    See attached picture.

I want to make a booking-report with the people that have appointments. The problem is that the information comes from two different tables.

Untill now I have always just used one relation but in this case I need two relations and I can't get it to work.

What am I doing wrong? is it the type of relations or what?

Thank you in advance for any help.

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Why are you using 2 different tables? you can load/relate the same table more than once by using alias's.

David

genesis is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    i think you have two tables here: booking-calendar table and the persons table.

i think it is better if you just omit the persons-b dropdown box because in your table booking-calendar table, you can add as many persons that you like. it will be easier for you to create report from there using the said table.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrake View Post
    Why are you using 2 different tables? you can load/relate the same table more than once by using alias's.

David
    I use two different tables because A-persons and B-persons have the same number. A-persons are actually grandmothers through the mother side and B-persons are grandmothers through the father side.

Windows XP Access 2003
    You could still have them in the same table. All you need to do is to have an additional field that denotes the bloodline. Then use these as a two part no duplicates key. By using the autonumber as a primary key you will be able to make them unique.

David

Windows XP Access 2007
    what do you mean have the same number? do you mean same ID or same number of persons?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    i think you have two tables here: booking-calendar table and the persons table.

i think it is better if you just omit the persons-b dropdown box because in your table booking-calendar table, you can add as many persons that you like. it will be easier for you to create report from there using the said table.
    yeah, but the problem is that the number that the calendar-dropdownboxes relate to, is the primary key of personsA and personsB and the numbers are identical. I don't think I can get that into one dropdownbox or what?

Windows XP Access 2007
    I think you should create your unique ID for relational purposes and an ID that is intended for the relationship being an individual. cant it be done that way?

Windows XP Access 2003
    sorry, both tables have ID-numbers which are also primary keys. The ID-number for one grandmother is the same as for the other grandmother

Windows XP Access 2003
    This is obviously a case of denormaisation, you need to get your tables correct in order to progress.

David

Windows XP Access 2007
    I think that ID that you say is really existing in your workplace as have been designated already. So if that is the case, why not create an ID that is a primary unique individual id that is not designated by whoever. such purpose is for your relationship only to the other table.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrake View Post
    This is obviously a case of denormaisation, you need to get your tables correct in order to progress.

David
    Thanks for taking time to respond.
    So you say that the ID-numbers, which are primary keys and also identical for both grandmothers, should not be primary key? There is autonumber on both tables, should I make them Primary key?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    I think that ID that you say is really existing in your workplace as have been designated already. So if that is the case, why not create an ID that is a primary unique individual id that is not designated by whoever. such purpose is for your relationship only to the other table.
    Ok, I think I understand now. Maybe I have confused the idea of primary keys and relationships. I will try to mov.e primary key from the current ID to the autonumber and hope that nothing bad will happen

Thank you for your help.

Windows XP Access 2007
    pertaining to your post number 12. yes. that should not be your primary key. autonumber on the other hand maybe your option to use as primary key but it would be wiser if you will not rely on autonumbers as primary key, you can always create new id by yourself.

Windows XP Access 2003
    What I suggest is the following:

Edit table A and add a new field

Bloodline Text 1

Run an update query on this field and populate it with "M" Maternal

Create an append query and append data from table 2 into table 1 and for the field Bloodline append "P" Paternal.

You will now have both sets of grandparents in the same table each person being either a maternal or paternal parent.

Each one will have their own autonumber which becomes the primary key.

You can then create two queries

QryMaternal & QryPaternal

Set a condition in each one M & P

Now in your relationships you relate QryMaternal to ParentA and QryPaternal to ParentB on a one to one relationship. As the parent can oly be either the maternal or paternal grandparent, they cannot be both.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.