How to pull up the data from a particular record using a form and an ID #...

Hey guys,

So I'm totally new to access, and I know nothing about coding...so beginner alert... :-)

But basically I've created a series of forms from my tables in order to enable easy data entry, and viewing.

I think I've got the data entry part down - I created a button on each of my forms (using the button wizard - "add new record") which enters the all the info I've entered into my form into the fields of my table...which is perfect.

But I can't figure out how I can use the same form to do the reverse - pull up all the data from a particular record in my table, and view it in the form.

I basically want to be able to type in a participant's ID number (its a database for clinical research) into the form somewhere, and then have it show the rest of the data for that person from that particular table.

I've tried creating another button and using some of the record navigation options (like "find record") but this does not seem to be working - it keeps telling me the record cannot be found, even though the record DOES exist in the table.

Sorry, I'm sure this question is incredibly dumb but hey, we all start somewhere... :-)

Thanks!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    One option if a different form:

BaldyWeb wherecondition

If the same form and its bound to a table, try the combo box wizard, choosing the third option, "Find a record..."
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.