parkerjallen is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Need different amounts of data depending on a user input?

I haven't started designing this database, but basically it's going to ask the user to put in a number of "threads." Depending on that number (some popular ones are 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 24, 48, 72, 96, 144) they will have to input test results for twice the amount of that number, one for each end of the thread. We might get a custom order one day for a completely random number of threads, but it should usually be in increments of 12. What I'm wondering, is should I make a table for 1-8, then another table for any increments of 12 and put a suffix on the end of the same serial number to note that it is of the same cable?

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm still at the drawing board myself, trying to put a plan together. I wish I didn't need all these tables, but the less room for an employee to "miss" some results, the better. I want to spoon feed these forms to them.

It's been awhile since I've touched Access, maybe I'm forgetting something basic. Feel free to point me in the right direction!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't understand the premise of your database. Why would you limit the number of threads someone could enter to a list of values? if it's a numeric value couldn't they order say... 17 of an item. If you limit that to a list of values in a table they would never be able to enter the value 17 when doing data entry.

parkerjallen is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    It's actually number of threads in a cable, where it's a preset number of threads. I think I've decided to go with a default 12, no matter what, use the cells you need, and if it goes over 12 threads, you get a new serial number for the next bunch of threads.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.