cowmoogun is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 64bit

Where to get started

So I work for an E-Commerce company that recently underwent some changes and I was promoted to a VBA Access programmer with no VBA experience. I am familiar with the theory of Databases and how Access is implemented and if it helps we do use SQL server manager as our actual Database and Access as more of the UI to perform Operations with. Now I guess my question is where should I get started? I've been reviewing our forms and modules and seem to have a good understanding of the source code using the multitude of resources I've encountered, but I'm hoping (if anyone was in a similar situation) if there is one reference I can go to to get everything I need to learn this material. I am a Senior on my way to get my B.S in computer science but I have been more focused on C++ and the simplicity (if that's what it can be called) of VBA seems daunting. Thanks for any help guys!

Ancient Dragon is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you want to get all the info in one comprehensive place then you should spend some $$$ and buy a book either from your local/college bookstore of online at amazon.com.

I have no issues buying a book whatsoever, any recommendations would be helpful.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Does your E-Commerce company have some sort of training regime for employees they promote into specific jobs/duties?
    Books and videos can help, but to get operational experience you need to do some programming and problem solving.
    How did you learn C++? The same "general technique" should apply to any programming language.

There are good vba tutorials at Function X
    http://www.functionx.com/vbaccess/index.htm

Good luck with your new job.

Thank you Orange, actually we ran in to trouble and now are in the midst's of a restructuring and (in disbelief) I am now the only one in this position. (A joke I know, but an incredible opportunity for me). I learned C++ through a college textbook and a professor, it seemed listening and following an instructor is my preferred way of learning. Thank you very much for the link, I will check that out and I'll peruse youtube as well. Thank you!!!

Windows XP Access 2003

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    "I was promoted to a VBA Access programmer with no VBA experience." - same story, the company saw my giant array of batch files and decided to put me to work doing this I am lucky enough to have a mentor within the company I am at. He has and still is teaching me a lot. Also, these forums are a great place to learn. I can look back at my first posts and laugh because I was so clueless. People here are very helpful.

When I post a problem on here, I tell my boss... "I have the greatest vba programmers in the world looking at the problem right now" Or "I sent a call for help up to the mothership." - Depending on my mood for the day.

Windows XP Access 2003

Thank you so much for the help thus far, I know this will be a slow and arduous process but I am committed to the experience and I see this is a very welcoming group . I'm hoping I'm given a project soon so I can have a set path in the learning process rather than "Learn access and VBA," until then it's just another day :P.

dccjr is offline Competent Performer
    I am new to programming and access and vba as well. Check out the books at http://it-ebooks.info. There are several dealing with Access and VB (VBA). I have a project but am still struggling through it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dccjr View Post
    I am new to programming and access and vba as well. Check out the books at http://it-ebooks.info. There are several dealing with Access and VB (VBA). I have a project but am still struggling through it. Good luck.
    I'm assuming your bosses knew that before tossing the project at you right? What does your first project entail? I'm curious because our system is built and I'm trying to come up with a framework of what might be asked of me. Thank you for the link, I am perusing it now!

So I have my first project which is turning most of our sub forms in to separate modules as most of them are reusing code and is causing memory problems with multiple tabs. The problem is the code is so bad throughout with no documentation that there is little I can do except for re-write everything. An undertaking not worth the 10 dollars an hour I'm getting (The same pay I received two positions prior).

dccjr is offline Competent Performer
    My first project consisted of a db for storing and tracking "root cause analysis" data for defective parts in a manufacturing environment. Our company makes over 25,000 different parts for about 15 different product lines, with hundreds of options for each. All of my data is stored in one table(in a backend on the server), searchable by multiple criteria in comboboxes filled by query), generating reports and pivot charts (Pareto charts)(query based on multiple criteria) in a multi-user environment. Plus some general idiot-proofing.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.