PMCOFFEY is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Negative Value Formatting in REPORTS w/ Calculated Field

I’m completing a report. I’ve inserted a calculated field in the report.
    I'm using Access 2010
    Here is an example:
    =([AccessTotalsOpen]-[AccessTotalsClose])/[AccessTotalsOpen]
    I get the correct answer but cannot find a way to Display/FORMAT a negative number with any of the options that I have available to me?.
    Does anyone have a method to format a calculated field in a report?.
    I tried this example but could not get it to work. =Format( FIELD ), “ 0; (0)”;
    Much appreciate any recommendations that you have.
    Kind Regards,
    Michael

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    try using abs([AccessTotalsOpen]-([AccessTotalsClose]/[AccessTotalsOpen])). Or int(equation). One of those should work. I'm not sure if it's a mistype but note that you are also using the AccessTotalsOpen in the first and last fields in the equation.

PMCOFFEY is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Many thanks for the reply, I tried the abs( ), it took in the field but did not produce a change in the output.
    I tried the int(). It also took in the field but did not produce a change in the data. I'm trying to get the output for negative values to appear as (####) or - ####. Neither was showing when the report was rerun. I'm going to change the boxes and rerun the report using those ideas and see if that works then. I refreshed the reports..did not work. It does not give me an error message so I'll take a few more steps and see if that works for me.
    I've searched the books and as many forum as I assess to. Nothing seems to have triggered this question to many people.
    Must be something I'm missinig on the formatting issue.
    The equation showing is for percentage change in a calculated field in the report. It provides the percentage change. The output is correct, the formatting is not.
    If I can figure out a way to show the correct formatting the reports are great. Other than that I have to upload them to a word document and THEN... do all the formatting. Lot's of extra steps I'm trying to avoid taking if I can.

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Have you tried changing the "Format" property of the field to Percent? If this is MSAccess 2010, I found it works well on forms. You may want to experiment with the Format and other associated properties of the text box field if the equation didn't work. I thought for sure ABS or INT would work. Otherwise I might google for "vba code convert negative to positive"

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.