jonny3000 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Using the Nz function (Access 07)

I have tried using the Nz function to return the value of '0' but still get null everytime and can't seem to get the syntax right. I also tried to use a IIf statement asking if null then show awaiting count, else show account count - depart count. What Im trying to over all is show the total of awaiting and as someone departed it will deduct from the awaiting total. I started biulduing the query in the form to solve for the counts but after realizing that if the depart value is null then the awaiting value would then be null too. I need the awaiting value to show its true value and then as they depart the awaiting value would be subtracted. Here is a couple of SQL I have tried so far.

SELECT Nz(([Awaiting Count].[CountOfBN]-[Departed Count].[CountOfBN]),0) AS Awaiting

FROM [Departed Count], [Awaiting Count];

SELECT IIf([Departed Count].[CountOfBN] Is Null,[Awaiting Count].[CountOfBN],[Awaiting Count].[CountOfBN]-[Departed Count].[CountOfBN]) AS Awaiting

I have tried other syntax but can't seem to nail it. I tried using the Nz function before and never had any success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why isn't there a JOIN clause in that query to join the two tables on common unique ID?

The Nz() expression has unnecessary pair of parens but should still work with tables properly joined.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jonny3000 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I can't join the two querys. I am trying to count the amount of awaiting and departed and did so in a seperate query. I know I can do within the form but just trying different methods to try and get the Nz function to work.

June7 is online now VIP
    If you don't define a join on common ID fields, then every record in each table will join to every record in the other table.

I don't understand what you are trying to do.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

DatabaseMakers is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    what about:

SELECT (Nz([Awaiting Count].[CountOfBN],0)-Nz([Departed Count].[CountOfBN],0)) AS Awaiting

dreday is offline Advanced Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    If you don't define a join on common ID fields, then every record in each table will join to every record in the other table.

I don't understand what you are trying to do.
    This is correct, what you have is won't generate anything useful from a cross join.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.