MadeCurler is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Save database as backup

I'd like to have a button on my dashboard that gives the user the ability to back up the database and save it with a different date. For example, existing database called "Fishing.accdb" and I'd like to have code behind a button that allows the database to be saved as "Fishing0711.accdb"

I'm trying to avoid the user having to go into the File Save as menu system....I've tried the docmd.copyObject method but can't get it to work

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Out of curiosity, what is the need for this?

Is the server that the database resides on not being backed up regularly? If not, you should strongly consider it.
    Are you worried about the User screwing something up? If so, you may want to consider other methods of locking down the database a bit more.

There are some articles on the internet that talk about doing this, like this one: http://bytes.com/topic/access/answer...tabase-via-vba
    Personally, if this is really necessary for the users to do, I would create a simple batch file to do it. Trying to back up a database while in it could lead to corruption issues.

MadeCurler is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Database back up

Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the need for this?

Is the server that the database resides on not being backed up regularly? If not, you should strongly consider it.
    Are you worried about the User screwing something up? If so, you may want to consider other methods of locking down the database a bit more.

There are some articles on the internet that talk about doing this, like this one: http://bytes.com/topic/access/answer...tabase-via-vba
    Personally, if this is really necessary for the users to do, I would create a simple batch file to do it. Trying to back up a database while in it could lead to corruption issues.
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I am an amateur and know a about 5% of what access can do. A friend asked me to design a db to keep a note of all fish catches in a season (he runs an outdoor adventure school)...I've done that but I don't want him altering any of the queries, code etc. I'm not sure how to "lock" the db to prevent this or how to make a batch file. Thank you anyway and I'll have a look at the link you've given.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Also take a look at creating a compiled version of the database (an "mde" or "accde", depending on which version of Access you are using).
    This will help lock many things down.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.