markjkubicki is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

file too large in one db report, but not in another db

I have a db with several linked tables, along with the usual local forms, queries, reports, etc.

Office politics dictate that one of the reports is also accessible in the backend (as a stand alone); fortunately, the report has as its data source only (3) three tables, and they are all in the backend file. The main purpose of the report is to display linked images in a pictue control (1 image per record, 1 record per page; the control is in the detail section, and is sourced from a hyperlink field in 1 of the 3 tables). The reports opens with no problem in the front end.

However, when I export it to the backed db, and open it, I get this error:
    Error # 2114 was generated by db_1... doesn't support file format (*.jpg) or file is to large...

OK, so I admit, when it comes to hyperlink and/or picture controls... I'm an idiot (put them together... and you can only imagine)

Any thoughts, suggestions... will be greatly appreciated in advance... (as-well-as any good websites/resourses for dealing withe the evasive picture control / JPG mis-align)
    Thanks, mark

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    If there are two or more "office politicians" opening the report in the BE, you will , at some point, corrupt the BE.

If you create another "FE" with just the report and report query, link it to the BE, does it open and display what you want?

Each "politician" can then have their "own" report-only FE on their own computer and not be mucking around in the BE.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    NEVER put queries, forms, reports, code that are intended for user interface in backend. Users should NEVER work directly with backend, period.

Here is how I manage multi-user database http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ue-323364.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    created a new db, exported the report into it, then opened it and linked the relevant tables... it worked fine
    created a new db, imported the report and also imported the relevant tables (import... not linked)... it worked fine
    opened my existing backend, deleted the existing report, imported (rather than, as previous "exporting into") the report, got a warning message about "attachment fields not being suppported in the MDB or ADP format..", clicked OK, imported the report.... and got the same error

(see my comment below about the politicos, and the even as bizzarre safety mechanism- which i why i'm a bit laxed about this)

Windows XP Access 2007
    its a very strange situation... you would think that there is a common backend, and that access to it is a really bad thing (which I would agree with); however, each user has many "jobs", and each "job" has its own seperated data file (really, don't ask why! I have, and I give up)... so if the user does fck-up the db, it's got very limited liabity... after 20 yrs of working in this firm... I pick my battles

never-the-less THANKS much for the link (I've been on your site before, and gotten LOTS of good stuff from it); knowledge is power, and maybe one day this self-taught, do the best i can, will be victorius -till then...

Mark

June7 is online now VIP
    The backend is ACCDB file?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    hmmm...

the 2 new ones i created are ACCD
    the original is not; it is a MDB

June7 is online now VIP
    If everyone is running Access 2007, I suggest you upgrade the backend to ACCDB.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.