Nem3s1S is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Barcode Scan input

Ok so i have a simple table with 3 fields: Serial Number, Description, and Scan Date. When i scan in using my barcode scanner the data from that scan goes into my "serial number" field, no issues there. All the desktops and laptops i scan in have a set 9 digit model/type code before the 7 digit serial number (i.e. S1266889Uxxxxxxx for laptops and S18113E7Uxxxxxxx for desktops). I wanted to know how the "Description" field could be autopopulated to read "DESKTOP" or "LAPTOP" when i scan a desktop or laptop based on the first set of 9 digits, and on top of that also autopopulate the "Scan Date" field. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. FYI i use Access 2007 and will also be linking this to a SharePoint site.

Thanks,

Nem.

genesis is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi Nem3s1S. I have a problem on how to deal with barcode. How can you use barcode, what barcode font do you use and how to use it. Can you share your knowledge thanks.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Nem3s1S View Post
    Ok so i have a simple table with 3 fields: Serial Number, Description, and Scan Date. When i scan in using my barcode scanner the data from that scan goes into my "serial number" field, no issues there. All the desktops and laptops i scan in have a set 9 digit model/type code before the 7 digit serial number (i.e. S1266889Uxxxxxxx for laptops and S18113E7Uxxxxxxx for desktops). I wanted to know how the "Description" field could be autopopulated to read "DESKTOP" or "LAPTOP" when i scan a desktop or laptop based on the first set of 9 digits, and on top of that also autopopulate the "Scan Date" field. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. FYI i use Access 2007 and will also be linking this to a SharePoint site.

Thanks,

Nem.
    This can all be accomplished with code in the AfterUpdate event of the serial number control.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    Hi Nem3s1S. I have a problem on how to deal with barcode. How can you use barcode, what barcode font do you use and how to use it. Can you share your knowledge thanks.
    This is really hyjacking a thread but to answer your question your scanner should be able to distinguish and deal with a number of different barcodes.

Nem3s1S is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Thanks for the reply RuralGuy, I will give AfterUpdate a shot, I never thought of using that. Genesis, the scanner i have reads the barcode and spits out the data into the cell or table i dont use a font nor does it take a snap shot of the barcode itself, just numbers or charcaters thats all.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.