jbs is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Adding and saving text in a text box to form.

Hi All,

Currently I have a form that reads off multiple, relationship linked, tables to deliver infomation when Client No is selected. I have a afterevent_update code to complete this.

However I also have a text box that contains notes for each client, which I would like to update for each individual on the form. Is there a way to enter text into the text box and save it, but only for the Client that has been selected?

If the explanation is confusing please let me know and ill try to explain further

Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    It is confusing.

Are 'client' and 'individual' synonymous?

Do you want to update data 'for each individual' or only for 1 individual? You want to select 1 or more clients and update a record for each selected client?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jbs is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    It is confusing.

Are 'client' and 'individual' synonymous?

Do you want to update data 'for each individual' or only for 1 individual? You want to select 1 or more clients and update a record for each selected client?
    Sorry for the confusing post. I think i have worked it out, I have created a sub form that will be used for editing and adding and then the main form to search for all existing querys.

My next issue is the check boxes on the tables being checked on the form for each individual and how I would go about doing this?

June7 is offline VIP
    Still don't understand. You have a Yes/No field in table you want to use to 'select' individual records?

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post. Be sure to indicate what objects are involved in this issue.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jbs is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks June7, I have uploaded my db. I will try to explain in depth what i am trying to do....

All those tables contain infomation that will be imported into access via excel. The infomation will come from a company reporting source. Each table will have an ID number in the first column which I want to use to link it to all the other infomation in the other tables when the ID numbers match.

I have attempted to do this by using relationships and I think that part works.

The next bit is to get all that infomation to display in the IFA2 Form. I have worked out in the test form (Form1) That i will need some VBA code to input all the infomation relating to an ID number or Name. However once I did this i realised that the form (Form1) couldn't be edited or records couldnt be added, so I am happy to have a duplicate of IFA2 (Form adding) which will update the tables from the form and have the original IFA2 as a form to view all the records.

As you can see IFA2 is quite detailed, and when the form is being looked at for each individual, I want the checkboxes in the tables that corrospond to that individual to be checked (as per checkboxes in the tables).

Also the notes section for each tab in IFA2 is giving me problems. I would like to enter notes for each individual and save them going forward. But the form seems to display all off the notes from the subform relatign to the tab selected.

So basically, All the infomation on the table for each ID need to be linked and the infomation to be displayed on a form, but this form also needs to be able to add records to the database and also edit existing records.

Please let me know if you require more info.

I appreciate any help you can give. Thank you very much for your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    You have table relationships set as one-to-one but the form/subforms are designed for one-to-many. You have IFA pk linking to the pk of each dependent table. This means a one-to-one relationship. If this should be one-to-many then each dependent table needs an IFA_ID foreign key field.

Why do you have a field called CommissionNotesID in table IFA?

"But the form seems to display all off the notes from the subform relatign to the tab selected."
    Need to set the Master/Child Links properties of each subform container control.

The next bit is to get all that infomation to display in the IFA2 Form. I have worked out in the test form (Form1) That i will need some VBA code to input all the infomation relating to an ID number or Name. However once I did this i realised that the form (Form1) couldn't be edited or records couldnt be added, so I am happy to have a duplicate of IFA2 (Form adding) which will update the tables from the form and have the original IFA2 as a form to view all the records.

As you can see IFA2 is quite detailed, and when the form is being looked at for each individual, I want the checkboxes in the tables that corrospond to that individual to be checked (as per checkboxes in the tables).
    I am pretty much lost on all this. Why would code be needed to input data? Why is Form1 unbound - what table should this data be saved in? Duplicate forms makes no sense to me. The statement about checkboxes is indecipherable for me.

jbs is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry! Massive novice here.

The check boxes are in the tables, table IFA for example has a few "APL" check boxes Is there a way to check these boxes on the IFA2 form in the APL tab, based on the table check boxes, the boxes that are checked will change for each person. Does this make sense?

I'm thinking of starting from scratch...

I need to get all the tables linked via an ID number I will assign and then show in a form, IFA2 for example but I am happy to change the form. I will also need to update and add records via this form. What advice can you give to how i would go about this??

Thanks so much for your patience, I am lost.

June7 is offline VIP
    Have you gotten an introductory book on Access and worked through tutorials? This would probably be a good idea because so far most of what you want to do is basic Access functionality. Review 'sticky' thread tutorials at http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-access-help-18/.

Did you set the Master/Child links properties of the subform container controls as I suggested? This will solve much of your data display and entry issues.

The checkboxes scenario still doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand the purpose of checkboxes in one table dependent on checkboxes in another table. The behavior you want could probably be accomplished through VBA code, I just don't understand it and this is rather extraordinary arrangement.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.