KACJR is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Unbound text box will not accept any keyboard input

Greetings to the well of knowledge...

I have an unusual issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I have a table with a field named "Payee". I want the user to have a choice of free-form typing a name or selecting a name from a drop down. I initially tried to create a combo box control with LimitToList set to false, but this did not do what I thought I could do by setting this property...I was still limited to selecting from the drop down list only.

So I came up with an alternative, if unwieldy approach:

1. Create a hidden text box control on the form named "Payee", the control source for which is the table field "Payee".
    2. I created an unbound text box named "PayeeText".
    3. I created an unbound combo box named "PayeeCombo". The list is created via a query of a separate table of specific names.
    4. I created a command button that allows the user to toggle between either PayeeText or PayeeCombo. I do this by making PayeeCombo visible and PayeeText not visible, or vice versa.
    5. Within the VBA code for the control, I accept whatever input I get (either free text or drop down item) and then assign the value of the field back to the hidden control "Payee", which then updates the table.

Seems like a good approach in theory, however, the text box, "PayeeText", will not accept any input at all. I checked the obvious: it is enabled and it is unlocked. The only thing it responds to is when I click at the end of the text box and then type Backspace...in this instance the text in the control is highlighted.

I'm baffled. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ken

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by KACJR View Post
    ...I initially tried to create a combo box control with LimitToList set to false, but this did not do what I thought I could do by setting this property...
    Then your Combobox Control must have been corrupted! A Combobox that is Bound to the Payee Field, with Limit to List set to No (which is the Default setting, at least in v2007) should work exactly as you require! You can make a selection from it or enter data into the Combobox's blank box from the keyboard.

I would
    • Delete the original Combobox (if it is still on the Form)
    • Create a new Combobox
    • Set its Control Source to Payee
    • Set LimitToList to No

Linq ;0)>

A late thought about why you couldn't enter Data into the Textbox: Are you absolutely sure that, while trying to come up with an approach, you didn't enter an expression/calculation in the Control Source for the PayeeText Control? That would account for it being uneditable.
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

KACJR is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    You are correct, sir!!! A corrupted combo box. Recreated it and all is well. Thank you much!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.