DCarrollUSMC is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Exclamation Help with tables and relationships

I will try to give as much detail as possible. Please excuse my ignorance, I am a novice Access developer at best. I work for an IT/Networking company and we provide equipment to a local property management company for their apartments. I am creating an access database to handle our inventory. Currently, for this client, I have a table that has the following fields: Building Number (AutoNum), Address (Text), Key (Text), Equipment on-site (text), Equipment Location (Text), etc. I have a form that allows me to manipulate this table (add, delete records, filter by form, etc.). Currently, the field that I am most concerned with is the Equipment on-site field. As it is now, our equipment on site is just stored as text with a list of items contained in each record. I wish to have the equipment on - site field in my form and in my table reference to a separate table. I wish to do this so that I can add detailed records of which gear is in each building and how many of each item are there. Anyone have any ideas for where I should go next? I will be happy to provide any additional information if needed, just please let me know. I hope this will become a fairly detailed post on some forward progress that I should look into to achieve these results.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    This is a basic inventory management application.

What you need:

A table that stores all your equipment, and the data related to those items (serial numbers, manufacturer, etc)
    A table that stores all your customers, and the data related to those clients (contact name, phone number, address, etc)
    A table that stores your basic order information and the data related to it (customerID from the customers table, start date, end date, contract number, etc)
    A table that stores your order detail information that's related to the order (itemID from the equipment table, orderID from the orders table, location of equipment on site, building number, etc)

Make sure all of your tables have a primary key (an autonumber field will work just fine)
    Make sure you don't use special characters (!,#,%,&, etc) or reserved words (date, time, etc.) in your object (query, table, field) names. You'll regret it if you do
    Do not use spaces in any object names either, use the _ (underscore) character if you want to use a space in a field, query, table, etc name
    Think about ways to store as little information as possible and get the desired effect for your database (look for articles about normalization of your data)

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    DCarrollUSMC
    Perhaps I could offer you this link about the Fundamentals of Relational Database Design: http://www.deeptraining.com/litwin/d...aseDesign.aspx
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.