Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whitelexi is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Exclamation Automatic Age Calculation in Access using DateDiff

Hello,

I'm working on Windows Vista Business (32bit) and MS Access 2010.
    I'm currently working on a form, and on this form i have many fields. 2 of these fields are DateOfBirth and Age. The DateOfBirth field comes just before the Age field. I'm trying to get the Age field automatically populated as soon as a person fills out the DateOfBirth field. I have tried using the following code in the [Default Value] and it hasn't worked:

=DateDiff("yyyy",[DateOfBirth],Date())-IIf(Format([DateOfBirth],"mmdd")>Format(Date(),"mmdd"),1,0)

I would appreciate any assistance i get from you all.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I hope this helps:
    I created a Table with FName, LName & DateOfBirth fields.
    Then I created a Query and pulled in all three fields and added a field to the query like this:
    Code:
    Age: DateDiff("yyyy",[DateOfBirth],Date())-IIf(Format([DateOfBirth],"mmdd")>Format(Date(),"mmdd"),1,0)
    . . . using almost the exact syntax that you posted.
    Then I created a Form based on the query. It works.

mercapto is offline Advanced Beginner
    I think it's easier...

MsAdams is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I have used the following to calculate age in Access:

=DateDiff([yourfield],Date(), "Y")

You will more than likely need to do what the others have said and create a query with a calculated field.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    There are several ways of calculating accurate ages, including the OP's! The problem is that the OP had the formula in the Default Value of a Control! The Default Value is assigned at the instance that a New Record is originally created, and at that point there is no data in the DateOfBirth Field. If this is done at the Form-level, the formula needs to be in the Control Source of the Textbox, but I really prefer using a Calculated Field in a Query, as suggested by Robeen.

And I'm sorry, MsAdams, but you've never calculated an age with this formula!

=DateDiff([yourfield],Date(), "Y")

The DateDiff is completely malformed. I suspect that you meant

=DateDiff('y',[yourfield],Date())

but even that will not always give you an accurate age, because, unlike the OP's formula, it does not take into account whether the person has already celebrated their birthday for the current year! If the birthday hasn't been feted for the current year, the age returned will be one more than the actual age!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Not to mention that the AGE (a calculated value) shouldn't be stored, because after their next birthday, the AGE field value is wrong. I suppose that you could run an update query EVERY DAY to update the age..... what a pain.

Since the AGE can be calculated, calculate it in a query and bind a control to the query column. There you go - AGE is never wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post

...I suppose that you could run an update query EVERY DAY to update the age
    Or, simply rerun the calculation in the OnCurrent event, assuming a Single View Form! Of course, I've put this forth so many times, in the past, that if I had patented it, I'd be in Aruba now, on the beach, instead of sitting here, in chilly, damp Virginia, remembering better days!

Have a great weekend, ssanfu!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

Windows XP Access 2000
    I'd be in Aruba now, on the beach, instead of sitting here, in chilly, damp Virginia, remembering better days!
    But at least you are not looking at 7 months of snow 4 feet deep (in AK)!!!

Virginia...... yesssssss

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    But at least you are not looking at 7 months of snow 4 feet deep
    No, that would be my newly married daughter, in Boston!

June7 is offline VIP
    I agree, don't save age, calculate when needed.

Steve, you exaggerate for Anchorage (wait that is good - scare away the cheechakos) but in Whittier and Valdez is another matter - 4 feet is nothing!
    Last edited by June7; 10-12-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Well, maybe not 7 months and 4 feet.... 3 - 4 months and 4 feet (upper hillside).

Was in Valdez on a tour when the snow was 25 - 30 feet. Like driving in canyons...

Quote Originally Posted by Robeen View Post
    I hope this helps:
    I created a Table with FName, LName & DateOfBirth fields.
    Then I created a Query and pulled in all three fields and added a field to the query like this:
    Code:
    Age: DateDiff("yyyy",[DateOfBirth],Date())-IIf(Format([DateOfBirth],"mmdd")>Format(Date(),"mmdd"),1,0)
    . . . using almost the exact syntax that you posted.
    Then I created a Form based on the query. It works.
    I deleted the Age field in my table just to eradicate storage of age - @Missinglinq
    Then i removed the Age field from my form as well.
    Created the query as @Robeen highlighted, tested the query and it worked ok.
    Then i recreated the Age field on my form and tried binding it to the Age field in the query i created earlier through Control Source=>Expression builder=>=[QryAge_Calculation]![Age]
    And it is not working. Am i doing something the wrong way? Please help me, you guys have been very helpful and i have already learnt a few nice things.

Robeen is offline VIP
    You could go to the 'Add Existing Fields' button [towards the top right of your screen - just to the left of the Property Sheet button] and then drag & drop the new field onto your Form. Did you already try that?
    BUT . . . you should be able to do it by selecting the TextBox control - Property Sheet -> Data Tab -> click the down-arrow in the Control Source -> select the field you want to bind the control to.
    I don't understand why you used the Expression Builder to do it [since I've never done it that way!!! ]

Quote Originally Posted by Robeen View Post
    You could go to the 'Add Existing Fields' button [towards the top right of your screen - just to the left of the Property Sheet button] and then drag & drop the new field onto your Form. Did you already try that?
    BUT . . . you should be able to do it by selecting the TextBox control - Property Sheet -> Data Tab -> click the down-arrow in the Control Source -> select the field you want to bind the control to.
    I don't understand why you used the Expression Builder to do it [since I've never done it that way!!! ]
    The Add Existing Fields only shows tables and their corresponding fields. I'm trying to bind a TextBox to a query... The problem seems to be that the TextBox is on a form which is already bound to a table and so the only way i can bind this TextBox to a query is by using the Expression Builder.

June7 is offline VIP
    Can't bind a textbox to a query.

Can use a domain aggregate function (DLookup, DSum, DAvg, etc) in textbox ControlSource to get a value from table or query not in the form or report RecordSource.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.