RichardPowell is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

Basic Access Security

Hello,

This might seem like a basic query, but I am trying to add some security on a individual Access front end that links to a SQL back-end. At the moment, it is accessible via a single password on the file, but we would like to add a 'read-only' account. I have set up user permissions on the front end that has a separate admin under the owner's name, and a 'user' account which has access to the file, but cannot change any data.

The front end lies in a shared area, and it works fine from the account it has been setup on. However, if I logon to a different user on a different PC and open the file from the shared area, the security has disappeared (despite the fact that the mdw file is in exactly the same shared folder). How do we get the security that was setup to propagate to all users? Am I missing something really obvious?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    My suggestion is that you create a second front end for the 'view only' people. When it comes right down to it, anyone that goes poking around in access can find the tables and modify them if they want to unless you are connected to a SQL table where the PK is not defined. Then you can not make any changes to the table whatsoever.

As a test I would create 2 databases that are linked to the same SQL table at your facility.

In the first database, link the table and define the primary key when it asks you to.

In the second database, link the table and decline to define the primary key.

Now try to edit both sets.

You should find you can not modify the second database.

This is really the only foolproof method I have been able to find to avoid letting certain people have access to your records.

It sounds like you're trying to set this up with workgroups which I have not had much experience with but I know that it has holes in it.

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    If you need any help on setting up Microsoft Access Security, visit this link: Microsoft Access Security

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.