benjammin is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

click on report to open more information

Hi, I am working on my calibration database and right now all calibration records are stored in tblCalLog and I can make a query and a report to show all calibrations but what's lacking is the detailed information contained about each calibration. I want to be able to run the report, see all the calibrations sorted by date and location (i've already done this) and then if you see a record you want to view more information you can click it and it will show you the details about that calibration (stored in other tables on the left).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	query_rel.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	9394

How would I go about doing something like this? I've considered pulling ALL the detailed information from all the tables in one query but that seems bloated and incorrect. Any direction would help. Thank you.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I have never tried it but I do not believe there is drill down capability in MS Access reporting, however, you can build a form that runs on the same query as your report and if someone wants to drill down to a specific record they can choose it from a list box or series of cascading combo boxes until you define the record(s) you are interested in.

benjammin is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    So then how would I print a report like that from a form or can you just print the form?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You'd build the exact same query you have shown above but if they are drilling down to an exact record you would have a criteria of [forms]![Formname]![fieldname] where the FIELDNAME field would contain the calibrationID of the record you're interested in.

If you're using cascading combo boxes it would be the name of the combo box, if you're using a list box it would be the name of the list box.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.