chelsyray is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Add new data to existing record

We currently have a Membership Record for each of our clients. Within that record we have a Contacts Table that contains various contacts for the facility that we have manually entered throughout the years. We've recently gained access to all of the Administrators for these facilities and would like to "append" them to the existing record without overwriting the current "Primary contact". I have exhausted myself trying to follow the directions on Microsoft's site on how to make an append query and run it properly. We have the data in Excel and have a field titled "license number" in the Excel worksheet, which is also listed in the membership record to help tie them together.

Any suggestions? Its a butt load of data that I would prefer to not have to manually enter if at all possible.

Thanks in advance! I can provide screen shots if that would help.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Can you give an example of your existing data (the table you want to update) and an example of the text file you are trying to use to update that table. It doesn't have to be real data, it would just help to point you in the right direction.

chelsyray is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    The contact table I want to append to looks like this.
    ID Member Number Primary Prefix First MI Last Suffix Full name Title Company Address City State Zip

The ID is assigned by Access by whatever row it is

The Member Number is the Number that is unique to each member profile. In the contacts table that I am trying to update, there may be several rows with the same member number as a center may have more than one contact

The Primary field is a true/false field indicating whether the contact is the primary contact for the client.

The data spreadsheet that I have looks like this.
    Member Number Primary Prefix First MI Last Suffix Full name Title Company Address City State Zip

I have hand typed in the Member Numbers in Excel to match the facility that they should be tied too.

The primary field have all been labeled as FALSE as we do not want to overwrite the current primary contact.

There will be several rows with "like" member ids which ties them to the particular client.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.