Return records not updated by update query

Forgive me if this question has been asked before but I tried a search in the forum and it didn't seem to work very well.

I have 2 tables, each with a few thousand records. I enter values in fields in table one and it calculates some of the other fields.

I then run an update query and update the records in table 2 based on the calculated fields from table 1.

The update query shows me how many records were updated in table 2 but I would like to be able to generate a list of all the records that weren't changed through the update query. Is that list tracked anywhere in Access or is it something I need to write a VBA procedure to accomplish?

One simple way would be to run a SELECT query on Table2 before running the update query, and set up the WHERE clause so that it is the opposite of the WHERE clause in the UPDATE query.

Of course, I should warn you against storing calculated values in a database anyway--generally, this is a bad idea, and should be avoided.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, that's not a bad idea. I should be able to put that in easily.

As for storing calculated values, I didn't have much option. The database is converted from an old Revelation A database and the client wanted it to run exactly as it did before. (Minus the DOS interface :roll: )

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.