snoopy is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Freezing Access Database

Hi Community,

I am engaged in maintaining a Access Database. Its a Multi-User DB within a network, not so elegant I know. The scope of the db is reporting and data entry. Therefore essential is data entry and creating reports, based on this data. unfortunately from now there is no freezing option. Therefore all users starting hacking data into, even when its not allowed.

Now, I would like to develop a function, which freezes the database at a specific date. That means that absolutely nobody is allowed to entry data after a fixed date. Of course users should be able to generate reports and read the data.

May someone of you guys could help me. The function, module, script blabbla should be automatically generate the freeze, so that no manual work is to do or just pushing a button in a form.

Thanks guys in advance

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    There is no way to 'freeze' the database. If users are allowed access to the Navigation pane, ribbon, shortcut menus then they can do anything they want and you can't stop it. There are ways to customize the database so users can't get to these tools. Then you can have code behind command buttons that will prevent opening data entry forms under specified conditions or open the forms only for viewing data, not editing.

Review
    http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...at-303789.html
    http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...tml#post754260
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    In addition to June7's advice and suggestions,
    Its a Multi-User DB within a network, not so elegant I know.
    sounds suspiciously like this is a single copy of a non-split Database, accessed by multiple-users on the network; is this the situation? If so, addressing any other problems, until this is rectified, is essentially useless!

Also, exactly what constitutes data entry being 'not allowed?'

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

snoopy is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    sounds suspiciously like this is a single copy of a non-split Database, accessed by multiple-users on the network; is this the situation? If so, addressing any other problems, until this is rectified, is essentially useless!
    Of course, It is already split into frontend and backend. I just wanted to know if its possible to lock the database and just show the current data at a specific time. Anyway I guess Access is not a good solution for my requirements.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.