paulfr is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Access DB backup & restore

Let me start w/ an apology I'm not familiar w/ Access however I've searched this and other sites for an answer to my question to no avail. Perhaps you can help.

My dentist is looking to install "Acc-Dental Software". This is a dental patient pcgk based upon Access. He is also contracting w/ Ace to convert his existing "Lytec Dental" pkcg to the Ace/Access platform.

His is a small practice so he wants a single r/w workstation running ACE in the "backroom" and accessing a master DB. He also wants a r/o station in the reception area.

Here is "the problem"

As with his current Lytec app. he wants the r/o ACE application in the reception area be a complete "mirror" of the backroom r/w DB app. with the master DB copied/updated overnight to the second workstation app. and not a "front end" to his master DB in the back room .

He wants the second r/o workstation to be available to "backstop" his r/w workstation and be available should this r/w workstation crash. He reaizes this second DB will NOT be "up-to-date" w/ any changes to the master until the mirror is updated (nightly) . This is not a concern

His concern is IF his master application crashes he is SOL until it is "fixed". By having a "mirror", even one 24 hrs old he can still continue his business while waiting for the "master" to be fixed. He doesn't care "how fast" any problems will be fixed; he wants NO downtime. He doesn't care that his receptionist may possibly be looking at "outdated" info as it is not mission critical to his business. He currently has this master/mirror comfiguration w/ his current Lytec app. and will not consider anythng else.

Question:

Can I set up two applications - one per workstation - and merely copy (or copy updates) the master DB onto the r/o DB & application nightly. It's a small practice and a small DB. what are the problems I'm assuming?

The vendor can't seem to understand what I'm asking as they keep emphasizing the importance of a single DB. He doesn't want it!

Any help you can provide is appreciated as I would like to help this guy. He is willing to barter teeth for tech and I need some crowns!

Thanks.

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The configuration you need is a backend data Access mdb in the "Backroom" that holds the data only. Then on every workstation that you want to give users access to you will need a coy of the front end (UI). This front end will use linked tabled back to the back end to viewe the data.

You will need to have a user list and give them r/o or r/w permissions. So when they log on they will have the appropriate access rights. The backing up of the data is a scheduled task that can be performed as per your own policies. As the data is captured it becomes live instantly therefore there is no need to wait for overnight syncs to take place.

This is the bare backbones of the layout let me know if you need further assistance.

David

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.