kyix is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Missing Password Removal Option

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but i've been searching around and haven't found a solution (or cause) for my problem:

I have a database in 2010 that which I assigned a password to as normal (i may have been using a comp w/ 2007 Access when i assigned the pw, i honestly don't remember, regardless the file type is .accdb). It works fine to log in, view all design windows, write code, create and edit anything i wish, and in general - works like it should.

However

• I cannot remove the password - the option just isn't there to do it. I do not have any settings for the ribbon and am not running any code that would affect startup in anyway (at least i didn't write any). There is an option to encrypt the database, but the current working password does not work, nor a new password, nor just a blank password - it always says 'Not a valid password'.
    • I also cannot compact the database. It is not set to compact on close (although at one point i may have set it to that and then turned it back off). When i choose the compact option, it asks for the password three times and then always says 'Not a valid password'.

I've tried holding shift down on startup and/or opening in exclusive mode but both of the above problems persist. I can copy all the objects out of the database into a new one (i've tried this and can assign/remove a password and compact as normal); however i'm leary about spending the time reassigning all the relationships and such because i don't know what i did to break the database in the first place. The database has been built/used over a few different computers (started with it 1 month ago), however all of my backups seem to have these same issues.

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix (or more importantly - avoid) this problem?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

kyix is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    i know how to do it, the 'decrypt' option simply is not there

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I can't replicate the issue so can't offer solution. If you want to provide db for analysis, will give it a try. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

kyix is offline Novice
    I don't think I can upload it to the forums - part of what it contains is employee photos (i know that's a horrible idea but the situation dictates it) - even at 160x160 pixels they takes up a good amount of space. I deletedevery object out of the database but of course, since i can't compact it, it still has allocated tons of memory (120 megs).

At this point i've ported all the objects over to a new db and it works fine (i can encrypt/decrypt/compact no problem), i just wish i could figure out what i did to make the 'decrypt' option go away and why the "compact & repair" doesn't seem to recognize the password.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.