Tom1 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Updating an excel 2010 file from Access 2010 from a differnet computer

Hello,
    I could do with some help. I have set up in excel, to import queries from access that refreshes every minute. These results update every minute but only when the access file is open on the same computer and a recent task on the database has taken place.

This database is used by several different people using their own laptops. The database queries are imported from excel to provide a live information feed displayed on a TV. The PC that will be running the excel programme will not be used by anyone and therefor the database will not be updated via this machine.

Do you know how I can get live information sent to excel, do I need to write code in excel to open the database and enter into a form on the splashboard, then close and set timing to run that every minute?

Should I write code in access to export the file to excel every minute, if I was to do that then would I need to write code into the excel file to close current file and then re-open straight away, to display the most up to date information on the TV?

Another option I'm considering is creating a 'ghost' database, which will run on the pc that the excel file is located, this will draw information from the main database that the users will fill in, from there I write code in the 'ghost' database to open and close a screen repetitavley and that will update the queries that refresh every minute in excel?

Which option is best and, what code can I use for opening and closing forms?

Thanks in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why do you need Excel component? Why not just display directly in Access?

You say data 'refreshes every minute' but then say it happens only when db is open on same computer and an event occurs. What code does this?

Excel can link to table/query in Access. However, the link must be 'refreshed' to reflect data edits http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...010087045.aspx. I have no idea how to automate this with a timer. Perhaps VBA code behind the Excel could accomplish.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Tom1 is offline Novice
    Hello,
    Thank you for your response.
    The excel component is neede to display jobs and tasks that individuals are working on and what they have left to do. Excel can do this perfectly, import the tables then combine everyones tasks onto 1 tab to display the information we need in 1 full screen excel tab, we tried this in access using pivot tables in forms but the display that it gave was not as clear as what we can do in excel.

The refresh every minute is not done by code in excel. once I set up the limport link from the database, on the table it imported, right click, table > External data properties > connection properties > then I ticked the refresh every and selected 1 minute. When the db is open on the computer that runs excel the data refreshes, but as said earlier, when the excel file is stored on a stand alone PC it does not refresh data even though the refresh runs every minute.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The db is located on a network data server? By 'standalone' you mean the computer is not connected to network server? How could the Excel link to db?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Tom1 is offline Novice
    Both the db and excel file are saved on our network server. By 'standalone' I mean that the PC displaying excel wouldn't have any human interaction going on. It would just display the information.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.