scarruth2 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Help on many things

Hello,

Ok I am creating a database for my baseball cards, football, and hockey cards. I have one table that holds all the cards in one table and have a Query that has all baseball cards separated by Year and Card Manufacture. I haven't begun to separate out the hockey and football cards. Would it be possible to have a Queries for Baseball cards then have another list of Queries for the other sports without having them all bunched up into one large list.
    My second question is there a way to know when I'm typing in a duplicate card with in the flat that I'm working on. I have 20,000 plus cards so obviously I'm going to have duplicate cards in other locations but would like to combine duplicates in the same flat or book.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

I love the way that is broken down into many relationships but I have only one table instead of many tables. How would I go about setting up relationships like that? Here are my fields: strPlayerID, strFName, strLName, strSport, strTeam,strCardYear,strCardSet,strCardNumber,IngQu antity,Row,Flat Number,Location,Price, Garde
    Last edited by scarruth2; 08-26-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: adding fields

Windows XP Access 2003
    I would recommend that you read the attached tutorial. Then using your own data and situation create the appropriate Entities and relationships.
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/T...lationship.zip

You may also want to research Normalization.

Ok I have looked at Normalization and I'm still confused as to how to accomplish my above question.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Did you read the ER Diagramming tutorial and try it with your data?
    Can you post your ER Diagram?

I did read the ER Diagramming tutorial and I couldn't think of how to apply that with my current database. I have tried to attach my database to this forum but it won't let me. I can email it to you if it would help.

Windows XP Access 2003
    You should look at the data model I mentioned in the earlier post and the process listed at
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/approach2db_design.htm

That along with the ER Diagramming tutorial should be enough to get you started.

I am surprised by your comment
    I did read the ER Diagramming tutorial and I couldn't think of how to apply that with my current database.
    Perhaps you should write a paragraph about what you have and what you are trying to do, then go back to the ER diagramming document again.

please take a look at my database because maybe I'm just stupid or something but I honestly have read this and I just don't understand how to apply this to my database.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Please review this tutorial
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/tutor...hema/index.htm

Looking at your 1 table data base won't help.
    If I had sports cards and wanted to organize them, I would use the data model I suggested to you.
    If that model doesn't include something specific, or doesn't fit your situation, then you can adjust it as you see fit.

Perhaps someone else will understand you situation differently and offer different advice/recommendations.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Ok so I have created a new database with the one you had suggested and I do enjoy that, but I'm having issues getting the relationships to work with one another and to pull this into a form so I can be able to enter the data. Also I already have a on going database so how would i be able to transfer that info into the new table. I really appreciate your help.

Ok I need help with relationships on this databases. http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...ting/index.htm
    I can't seem to get the tables to all link up and work together. One finial question once I am able to make this table and create a form. Is it possible to fill in the database via using the form that I created. Or would I need to fill in all the data into the tables and then the form would show.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.