Steven Seagal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Having trouble using update query to update fields within the same field using logic.

I have a list of over 100 projects in a database and some of them are quick hits so the idea I have in mind is that on a form, I make something as [In use] using a checkbox. This data lives in a table called [ProjectList] If this box is checked off, then [Test Progress] for this project should default to 100% (and 0 otherwise) - the field should be edited.

Ultimately all of this will be printed on an excel sheet to highlight project statuses.

Now, the fields [In Use] and [Test Progress] are on a form where if you input data, it should go on the respective fields in the table [project list]. On the forms, I used in the field for [test progress], iif([in use] = -1 , "100", "0") and it worked PERFECTLY for all the projects marked as "in Use"

But it wasn't being sent to the table [ProjectList].

so I have this update query that reads something like this:

Field: [Test Progress]
    Table: [Project List]
    Update: Iif([ProjectList.in use]=-1,"100","0")

However, it is NOT going into the table. Am I missing a really simple step here? I manually 'ran' the query and had it update, but that didn't work either.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to make this work. Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why even save this TestProgress value into table - can calculate whenever needed. Saving calculated data that is dependent on value in other fields is often bad idea. A principle of relational database is save raw data, do calcs on report.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Steven Seagal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    thanks! your answer gave me the intuition to come up with a better idea compared to what I was doing earlier!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.