Carouser is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Continuous Form- Single click to update multiple records within record

I have a continuous form that is selected by combo boxes in the header. The filtered continuous forms display the different Rooms for a particular Day and session. The rooms do have different presenters, but to keep it continuous, I have used common records and checkbox tallies to calculate the status of each room, i.e a % of confirmed Processed presenters. From this continuous form I am also able to Send Folders around the network. Each record for all sessions has a Status field that is a text box defaulted to "Open". This Signifies that each session is still open and receiving files. Once the session folder has been sent to it's destination, I am after a way of toggling a button that will change the Status Field of each record for that room to "Sent". This will tell the OP who might be processing presenters from the processing form that the session has been sent and to contact admin. It will also give the sent status for the continuous form for each record. I have looked at all things continuous, and have not found a method to click and change all records to "Sent" for each individual Room Session. I am a bit confused about the finer workings of a continuous form, although everything is working well with what I have learn't so far.

Attached is what I am working on in all it's messy glory, that will give an idea of what I am trying to achieve. I have looked for hours now, but nothing seems relevant to what I want. A big hint would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continuous.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	8995

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Will need VBA code.

Options:
    1. run an UPDATE query to modify data in table then Refresh the form
    2. cycle to each record in the form and modify field, one way is with RecordsetClone, another might be with
    DoCmd.GoToRecord acActiveDataObject, , acNext
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I've created another status field in the table with the Combo_Id. Change Status_Combo here will affect the status with same Combo_ID.( I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier) The new Status_Combo txtbox is on the continuous form. I have created a combo box with 2 list items, "Open"; "Sent", with it's source property Status_Combo. The list items in the combo are not getting selected, but I do get a nice beeping sound . So how do I update this one record.

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't really understand what is happening. Want to provide db for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

In my underlying query for the continuous form, I am using the "Group By" method to sort the data into continuous compartments. This is not allowing me to make any updates. When I remove Group by: and use the standard ascending, I can edit all fields, but I gain more continuous forms as they are not grouped. I am using cascading combo boxes to make the initial form selection, but rather than recordset cloning, I am using query criteria " [Forms]![frmAdminSend2]![cmbSessions1] to input the the ID from the second combo.

This explains somehow why I can't edit the form, but how do I set it up so that I retain the grouping?

June7 is offline VIP
    Aggregate queries are by nature not editable.

I suspect you should be using a form/subform arrangement.

I like the continuous form for an overall snapshot of what is going on with aggregated information. Now that I understand Aggregate queries and continuous forms, a pop-up or a modal form may solve my problems. I can't believe that a single update on a form has caused me so much angst. I have not written the code for the send folder button yet, so might try to setup a "sent" update as part of the procedure perhaps.

Thanks for the clarification June7.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.