jamiers is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Unhappy Sign Out and Sign In Student Database

Hi All....

I'm struggling. I consider myself a medium knowledge person when it comes to Microsoft Access. I have done relational databases before and know my way around some of the basics. Unfortunately, this new project is kicking me in the butt big time

I am a teacher in an elementary school classroom. Not that you need to know this, but I have a class coming in the door who has "bathroom" issues and really can't be trusted to be out of the classroom without causing SERIOUS issues -- especially the boys! Probably more than you wanted to know!?

I am trying to create a database where students sign in and out of the classroom on their own by using a computer by the door way. This will allow me to track who is in the bathroom and provide a report to parents who might ask -- I need data before I can put interventions in place... and I don't want to deal with the paper and clipboard at the doorway and then go back through pages and pages to find the data I need.

So..... Here is where I am.

I want the students to be able to enter their student ID into a form.
    - Form checks to see if the student is out. If out - sent to sign in form. Click a button to place the sign-in time on the record
    - If student is not out (no record in the query), then send to form asking for reason for out. Click button to place date/time in field to be out.

So.... here is what I am struggling with -- first form (which will search to see if record is present and then move to the two forms noted above)....

I need to create a fool-proof system because they are 8 year olds. I don't want to have to administrate the system while I am teaching! The first form has to search for the conditions above so they don't have to determine if they are signing in or out.

Even better, they type their number in first.... then it verifies that they are actually who they are in case they typed the number wrong.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16314940/StudentSignOutIn.accdb

That is the link to my database. Could someone help a teacher (who is not a programmer) out??

Jamie

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    This brings to mind the LendingLibrary database template. It keeps track of books in/out. Sounds like it would be adaptable to students in/out. Or could at least get some ideas from it. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...010206883.aspx
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I'm not sure... It seems way beyond me Does anyone have any other ideas?

June7 is online now VIP
    We are happy to help you help yourself but we aren't going to build it for you. You will have to learn programming concepts and macros and/or VBA language. Take one step at a time. Get one thing working before moving to next. The frmStudentIDSearch wasn't working to open frmLookforPersonOutforSignIn. I deleted the If condition code and changed the button embedded macro to: [StudentID]=[Forms]![frmStudentIDSearch]![IDEntryForSearch]. This works. Now work on next step.

You want to assign each student a number they must memorize? How will the program verify they are who they say they are? Anyone can enter anyone's number. No system is foolproof.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7,

I can't tell if you were being rude in your last comment. I am truly not trying to put anyone out. I am definitely a learner -- I teach my students to work through problems all of the time. I just had been struggling with the issue for a while and couldn't figure out how to solve them problem, so I was asking for some help. I'm not asking someone to code it for me, but to explain what I was doing wrong, which you did.... and I thank you for that.

I'm working within a third grade classroom of 25 students. They all memorize their own number. Could they work the system? Yep... although I don't anticipate that it would happen. For the most part my kids are good. With that being said... it wouldn't be too much of an issue to do a little research on who was working the system too.

Again, I'm not looking for someone to build my database, but I am going to have questions every now and then. I'm hoping that some will teach me and help me a long so that I can gain a better understanding. If you don't feel like you want to do that, you don't have to.

Jamie

June7 is online now VIP
    Not trying to be rude, just trying to say a lot in few words. Your request for help/information was so broad in scope, someone would essentially have to build a db to figure out all the workings of what you want to do. I made a stab at getting at least one little feature working of what you already attempted so that you could grow from that. Responding to your other requests would mean building and coding and testing. An experienced Access/VBA programmer could probably do it in a few weeks. Whether it's worth your time and effort only you can say. Easiest for the immediate timeframe might be the clipboard sign in/out and then you input the data into Access table so you can then build reports and analyse data. Then develop automation for student interface as time allows and your skills expand. The behaviors you want for a student interface will require code, VBA or macros. Code to check if student is in or out would incorporate queries and/or DLookup function as well as conditional structures.

There is seldom a 'one size fits all' solution but there are many examples to draw from and customize to specific requirements. We can analyze your constructs and code and sometimes offer detailed solution to very specific issue. As a case example refer to https://www.accessforums.net/queries...les-27662.html

Might also review
    http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...es-208217.html
    http://www.developerbarn.com/communi...-database.435/
    Last edited by June7; 08-27-2012 at 09:08 PM.

HMEpartsmanager is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiers View Post
    I am trying to create a database where students sign in and out of the classroom on their own by using a computer by the door way. This will allow me to track who is in the bathroom and provide a report to parents who might ask -- I need data before I can put interventions in place... and I don't want to deal with the paper and clipboard at the doorway and then go back through pages and pages to find the data I need.
    Jaime,

If I might suggest, use the clipboard.

Get into Word, Excel, or some form making program; and make a form for logging in and out of the bathroom.

Student Name * Student ID Number * Date * Time Out * Time Back In

That is a simple 5 columns right there, and with 1 line for each entry to the the bathroom, you can easily get 30+ lines per page, and that is with grids and column lines.

You can easily check the clipboard to see who is out, and you can check for accuracy throughout the day to make sure it is being filled out and completely.

When you get full log sheet (30 or so entries), enter it into a simple database with the fields you are working with. That should take about 15 minutes maximum on a full sheet of log entries.

Then when a PTA meeting comes, or some time you wish to use the data, to queries on your data that you have been saving.

Date Range: 09/01/12 until Today
    Student ID #: LittleJohnny123

And have it report back in a nice report format to print showing that Little Johnny Student ID # 123 has signed out to the restroom 142 times in 17 days; and give the report to the parent.

And if you want to do it for all students, you can query and print reports for each student in one batch.

But the above assumes you would use a simple log sheet instead of a computer and teach an 8 year old to use it and not mess it up. You checking a log sheet can tell if Johnny is using his name, or if he is writing down Suzy's name. A computer program, and you not looking, little Johnny can put in Suzy's name and say she was out when it was him.

Just a thought.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.