Combining Databases

I have three stand alone applications that I would like to combine into one.

Before I attempt this I have a few questions.

What at the advantages/disadvantages?

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks

Bob Hall

Bob,

I am afraid that the only answer I can offer right now is, "it depends", to both questions.

What do these apps do? Who uses them? How often? How are they structured? Do they use the same data? Etc.

Presenly I have three databases that perform the following functions:

1. Rejection/ Corrective action databse.
    Keeps a history of rejects of products found at receiving inspection, in-process inspection, final inspection and returned product.
    It also provides a history of corrective actions taken for the rejects.

2. Job Costing Database.
    Using data from a bar code collection system labor hours and dollars as well as purchasing data are used to show if we are making or losing money.

3 Sales and Quote database
    Keeps a history of what we quoted to customers. Provides the estimating group a way to check previous quotes in detail.

Using automation I can view data and reports in all databases. This however is slow as passwords must be entered , then parameters entered and finally the databse must be closed and control passed back to the calling database. Becasue the databases were developed over a perioid of time I have duplicate tables with common data: Customers, vendors, employees etc.

My thought process is to combine all the separate databases in to one large database, eliminating duplicate tables and the use of automation.
    I believe that this will be more efficient . The estimator will be able to see previous qoutes and how well we did in terms of dollars/hours and be able to readily access what went wrong during processing and if corrective
    action was taken.

If this makes sense then is there a method of combining the data bases that is quick and easy. I could copy each individual table, report , query and module individually.

There is one more database that I will design and implement in the near future and I will add it to the consolidated database.

Thanks for your assistance.

Bob

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.