Lyndy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Exclamation data entry not allowed in subform?

Being new to Access I am still learning so there is probably a very simple solution to my problem and would appreciate your assistance. I have created a subform using fields from tables. When I attempt to complete the form in form view, none of the fields will allow me to enter any information the cursor tabs to each field and the combo boxes show a selection but will not enter the information into the form. I have gone to the properties sheet for each field but there are no Data Entry tabs to adjust under the data tab.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

The property to check is the "locked" property for the individual fields - it must be set to "No".

Also check the "Allow Edits" property of the subform - it must be "Yes".

You wrote that sub-form is created using fields from tables - plural. Is the record source for the subform a query? If so, the query must be updateable, otherwise you will get the problem you are experiencing.

HTH

John

Lyndy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Hi -

The property to check is the "locked" property for the individual fields - it must be set to "No".

Also check the "Allow Edits" property of the subform - it must be "Yes".

You wrote that sub-form is created using fields from tables - plural. Is the record source for the subform a query? If so, the query must be updateable, otherwise you will get the problem you are experiencing.

HTH

John
    Hi John,
    Many Thanks for your quick response! I have checked the individual fields and the "locked" tab reads "No" The subform property allows edits too. I have used fields from 2 Tables I have not used Queries.
    I still am not able to enter data?

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    How did you use more than one table on your subform without using a query as the record source for the form? What did you specify as the record source for the subform, and what are the Control Source settings for the controls on that subform?

Without using VBA, the only way you can enter or update records in a form is to have a table or an updateable query as the Record Source for the form.

One other question - did you link the subform to the main form with Link Master fields and Link Child Fields settings?

John

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    How did you use more than one table on your subform without using a query as the record source for the form...
    John's being rhetorical, here! If Fields from multiple Tables are involved, the Form 's RecordSource has to be a Query! There's no way around that! It may be one the Access Gnomes created, based on the Fields you asked them to include, but it is a Query! And many multi-Table Queries are Read-Only.

In Form Design View
    • Go to Properties - Data
    • Go to the Record Source Property and click on the ellipsis (...) to the right of the box and dropdown arrow
    • You are now in the Query Design Grid
    • Now click on the big red Exclamation Mark titled 'Run'
    • Now try to enter data in one of the Fields

If you cannot do this, the Query is Read-Only.

Allen Browne has an excellent article that explains why Multi-Table Queries are frequently Read-Only:

Why is my query read-only?

The standard method for displaying data from multiple-Tables, while retaining the ability to enter/update the information, is to use a Main Form/Subform configuration, as you're already doing. You may have to 'nest' another Subform within your current Subform, or use two Subforms, each linked to your Main Form.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.