selvamraja is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

How to Auto Populate in combobox and save data in a new table

Hi,
    I am a novice in programming but am trying my hand on MS Access 2007 to develop a small application for my office.

In the first table I will create a Company Database collecting data such as Name, Address, Email.
    In the second table I will create a Inventor Database collecting date such as Inventor Name and Citizenship.
    In the third table I will create a Inventions Database collecting data such as Case ID, Invention Name, and invention date.

Now I will be creating a form with the third table and add the first and second table as sub forms. Now I want the Company Name and Inventor Name to be populated as a drop down fields. Next to these files I would like to add a button that will add the entry into a new table called "Company Name and Inventor Name". The Case ID will be a common field used for parent and child forms. So the relationship type will be One to Many (One Case ID but Many Company Name and Many Inventor Name)

The purpose is to reuse the company and inventor data. I am able to populate a drop down in the form using table lookup but I am unable to save it into another table. Also I read that it is better to use Form Lookup instead of Table lookup. Can anyone help me on how I create the form lookup?

The end result is to generate a report that will show a unique Case ID that might have one or more company names under it and one or more Inventor Names under it.

Appreciate your help - Thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    A case can involve multiple companies and inventors?

If company and inventor are paired (adversaries or partnership?), maybe need table like:

tblCaseCompanyInventor
    CaseID (foreign key)
    CompanyID (foreign key)
    InventorID (foreign key)

If company and inventor are independent of each other (all companies versus all inventors?), maybe two tables like:

tblCaseCompany
    CaseID (foreign key)
    CompanyID (foreign key)

tblCaseInventor
    CaseID (foreign key)
    InventorID (foreign key)

Form setups depend on business/information flow. Could have a form bound to tblCaseCompanyInventor with comboboxes to select case, company, inventor. If entity not in table then have a form open to enter the new record 'on-the-fly'. Now new entity is available for selection from combobox. This could use the NotInList event of combobox.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.