Heatshiver is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question 3 Subform Issues: 1) Verification creates blank record 2) Can't create a new record..

I have uploaded a condensed version of my database. The database has three forms, a user ID form, a main form, and a subform. It has two tables. Click on the user ID for and put in 0004, this will bring you to the main and subform.

There are two major problems:

1) I have a code that verifies if the user ID and date have already been used. It works and alerts the user that the date they are trying to use with the user ID has already been used. But it still creates a new record that does not have a date. I have to figure out how to avoid this, or have it undo that new record.

2) I have a combobox and find record button that are meant to be used to look at an old date to change records, or to use those old values for a new record. My combobox and find record button do not bring up any of the past record values for the main or subform. The combobox will show all the previous dates for the user ID, but once a date is clicked, it will not show that date's values. Instead it retains the current values displayed, if any. The find record button is forced to be on dates, but will not recognize any past dates and states that there is no record with that date (when there actually is). I could likely do without the find record button, but the combobox really needs to work.

A minor problem is that I cannot get the subform to carry over it's old value. I have a checkbox and a date box on the main form. When a new date is inputted and the checkbox is checked it is meant to bring over all the values to a new record. This does work for the information that is not part of the subform. I am thinking I would need to have specific code to copy over the subform information, or another button within the subform...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    As I said here

http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Sub...-t1992270.html

as best I can tell, looking at your Form, your problem is that you're trying to use a Database Record as you would a Document in a word processor! You apparently want to have a single Record in front of you, overwrite that Current Record, then hit <Save> and have it committed as a distinct, New Record! You cannot do it this way in a Database!

you need to modify your Form to allow moving to a New Record, either with a custom Command Button or by resetting your Form Properties to allow the display of the Navigation Buttons.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Answered that as well, not the actual issue occurring. Thanks for the help.

Ok, the problem for the combobox has been fixed. The query I had selected for it only had the one table, but needed the other for the relationship. I can now use the drop-down to put in old values. However, the subform values still do not carry over.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Let's see the revised app, then, and explain exactly what you mean by 'the subform values still do not carry over.'
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

The revised app is on the other forum.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.