a4131888 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Exclamation Access Database: I need to assign work out to multiple employees daily. HELP

Hi Guys, I am pretty new to Access. I have somehow been asked to Automate some processes in my job. Here how it currently works:

A report is imported into Excel. On a daily basis this has to be put into the correct order, then the work is manually divided amongst 10 employees. A new workbook is created for each employee. As each hour passes, they save the info on their own sheet that they have updated. Then their boss copies the updated info onto the Masterfile and hits save. A new Masterfile is used every day and alot of manual work is involved for the boss.

They want to Automate the process and improve it by:

Have the report imported into Access.

Have it automatically organise the report into the correct order for distributing work

ASsign out work to each employee from this report. Do i need separate tables on can employyees work off the one table?

Should I have a workingtbl and an employeetbl?

The info should update every hour so a report is created containing stats of what the employee completed each hour.

Once the day is over, can the completed work be saved to somewhere, so that when the following days report is imported, the previous days work is not included? it is important that all previous days work is retreivable?

Any help on where to start would be great guys!!! Even how I should start it all would be a help I dont want to make a mess of it!! Thanks~!

a4131888 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Also each employee would be updating information on the assigned work given out to them

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Generally speaking Access should be able to handle that. Typically one "transaction" table, not tables for each employee. Multiple employees can work in the same table, they just can't edit the same record simultaneously.

Rather than saving the completed work off somewhere, typically it would stay in that table. A date field would keep yesterday's work separate from today's. That would let you easily query yesterday's work, today's, this week's, last month's, etc.

As to what tables you need, more knowledge of your requirements would be needed. Generally, relational database design is much different than "spreadsheet" design. We use what's called normalization to lay out table design. More here, among others:

Fundamentals of Relational Database Design -- r937.com
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.