thekevster08 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Linked Contacts Question

Spent some time reading some posts, but my problem seems pretty specific. Having never really used access before (other than the ~15 hours spent working on this project), i think its time i asked for help.

I'm secretary for my organization and would like to completely overhaul our current system. I would like to change our current setup of having one excel spreadsheet of member information and a completely seperate sharepoint contacts table, and instead have a master database of all of member's information and a linked sharepoint contancts table. This is how i envision it working.

-I email out a form, then they fill it out and it is automatically saved to the database.
    -Certain fields are automatically added to the contacts database.
    -The contacts database is synced with a sharepoint contacts database for people to download to outlook.

Each of the steps seem simple on their own, but i can't figure out how to do it all. They don't need to be done automatically, but the more automation the better.

The form is easy enough, no questions there.

I'm unsure as to how to link only certain fields in a table. I can create a query to find the fields and create that, but that doesn't get me anywhere since it has to be added into a table, not a query.

I could simply create a linked table, but then when it is uploaded to sharepoint, it shows up as a table, and not a contacts list. In order to get it to play nicely with outlook, i need to create the contacts db in sharepoint, then download it and open it with access. Then i can't seem to link the contacts after it has already been created.

If i need to clarify something, just let me know. I'm using Access 2010. I have quite a bit of experience with VBA in excel, but access seems quite a bit different and would rather not have to get into it unless it was necessary, in which case i would need some of direction.

Any help would be very much appreciated. It's my last year in the organization, and i would like to leave this as my legacy to help out all the other secretaries to come after me.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The automatic email form and data update might be handled by the CollectData wizard.

Why would fields need to be added to Access contacts table?

I have never used Sharepoint so can't offer guidance there. Except my understanding is that cannot use VBA, must be macros.

I expect a lot of coding will be needed, whether it is macros or VBA to be determined.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Certain fields in the master database are needed for our record keeping, but I don't want them to be visible to everyone through the contacts. That is why i want to have two databases, one with all of the information (say, 20 fields) then the contacts one with just contact information.

I'm not afraid of lots of code, I am just really unfamiliar with sql, so was pretty reluctant to step into access programming. If that's the only way to do it though, I guess i can learn, i would just rather know if there is a way of doing it without it.

June7 is offline VIP
    Two databases - sounds like a headache.

Why Sharepoint? All users do not have connection to the local network server?

If you don't want users to see all the fields then don't let them have access to the Navigation pane. Users should interact with data through forms and reports. That is how to control what fields and records are presented to the users.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sorry, not necessarily two databases, just a table of all of the information, and a contacts table that is linked with sharepoint.

I want to use sharepoint because of its easy integration with outlook. All of our memebers use outlook and already have the contacts from it imported into their outlook accounts, so i would like to get it done with the minimum amount of change to them as possible.

All of the fields in the contacts would be in the main table, but some things (like whether or not their dues have been paid) don't need to be in the contacts.

June7 is offline VIP
    Your inquiry in this thread is so broad it imay be hard for anyone to offer guidance specific to your circumstances. Does sound like you have quite a challenge ahead of you. As you develop the project and encounter specific issue, post question and hopefully someone will have ideas.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.