bcmarshall is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

How do I export an Access table as an Outlook contact group w/o first using Excel?

I have an Access 2007 SQL database with 20 users. The DB has a list of about 3,000 email addresses that I want to export to Outlook for mass mailing. I've already got the services of an SMTP mail service that allows 1000 mails at a pop to be sent, and I've already written in the logic to separate the list into groups of 1k.

The problem I'm having is that I'm currently exporting from Access 2007 to Excel 2003 format (for some unknown reason Outlook 2007 does not directly interface with Access 2007), and then I have to manually go through the import steps within Outlook to bring the data from each 1k name group spreadsheet into a contact group for mailing.

It all works fine as it is, but it's clunky as hell. I want to automate that process, but I'm not very familiar with Outlook. I'm not even sure what the file format is for a group. Surely it must have its own format, like group1.xxx, or something. My ultimate objective is to export straight from access to the .xxx (whatever it is) format, direct it straight to the appropriate folder within Outlook and in the process eliminate the need for the more tedious steps required to import each Excel file within Outlook that I'm currently using.

All help would be appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes it is helpful. Thanks. It sets me on the right path, but it isn't exactly what I need.

One issue is this.

The contacts are automatically placed in the default Contact folder, which is at the same level as the Inbox.

I need to create separate groups for each group of 1,000 names or I won't be able to use the SMTP mailing service that I have. As I said, the logic already is in place to create 1,000 name Excel files. Do you have suggested modifications that will allow me to create individual groups?

The conversion to Excel is very fast, and I wouldn't care if I went from Access to Excel to Outlook if it's needed. I just want to avoid the steps involved in the import of each 1,000 name file to an Outlook group.

June7 is offline VIP
    Apparently can't specify a special personal Outlook folder to group the contacts into. Maybe you are stuck with Excel approach.

Did you try setting Access links to the folders in Outlook? Maybe you can manage the Outlook groups that way.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    It's the stupidest thing. Outlook 2007 does not support Access 2007 accdb format. Only the .mdb format of 2003 is supported and it's just too much of a pain to back convert. Not only that, but it doesn't gain me any ground. I'm just importing from Access rather than Excel, but ultimately it's the same steps.

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't understand. I am working with Office 2007 and just built a link to Outlook. I do have one group set up in Contacts but the link wizard saw only the one Contacts folder. If VBA code can assign a contact to an established group, I don't know it. The group designation does not show in the linked table. Probably because a contact could be in multiple groups.

Windows XP Access 2003
    When I open the Import Manager in Outlook 2007 and select Import from another program or file, Access 2007 is not an option. Only Access 2003 (.mdb) is available. I have no idea why it wouldn't be compatible with the same version Access, but it is not, but even if it were it would just be the same import steps directed to Access instead of Excel.

I created a new group in outlook with a weird name to it. called it zzzzzzzz. That way I could do a search and there would be only one file found. Well, no file was found with that name, so it doesn't appear that the groups are individually named files...at least from what I can surmise.

June7 is offline VIP
    I was setting link in Access to Outlook contacts folder with Access 2007. Now I am looking at Office 2010 and don't see an Import Manager in Outlook. All the help info about sharing data between Access and Outlook talks about linking from Access end.

Yes, I have the same conclusion, groups are not folders but simply attribute info about a contact record and since a contact could be assigned to more than one group, this info does not show in the Access table link.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I'm guessing that I'm stuck with the clunky system I've got. It works fine, but it's just not fully automated as I had hoped to make it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.